Is this Ovulation? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
noelaxibalba
Is this Ovulation?

My pairs have been locking vigorously this year and my big normal female has locked aleast 20 times with a pastel het pied, and a spider. But now, she has lost all interest in any male I introduce to her...is this ovulation? She is still pounded down a w/r every 5 days. Could I have missed ovulation?
1st time breeding so any input would be great, just be nice...lol
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
noelaxibalba
btw, don't know how to edit a thread lol! She feels alot firmer than my other females and could feel 5 follicles in her, now shes just firm and I can't feel the follicles as well, she is sitting at about 1850 g. and shed last week. My pastel female is not bloated looking, but a little firm. I can feel about 7 follicles in her, with a gap between follicle #6 and #7. Her follicles are the size of a shooter marble. My het for Orange Ghost has 10 follicles, but hers a significantly smaller than both the pastel and Normal. About marble sized.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
bradleymoore
it doesn't look like an ovulation to me. you could've missed it though.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
GreenCountryHerp

I agree with Brad. Here is a pic of one of my girls ovulating.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
noelaxibalba
WOW there is a major difference! I started seeing the first locks with her around the end of jan. beginning of feb...perhaps i did miss it. She doesnt appear gravid to me, but again, this is the 1st attempt at breeding this year. She went off feed in Dec. but has only refused twice since then. She gobbled down a w/r on friday like it was going outta style. Do you suppose her shed last week was a pre-lay then? Im very nervous and excited, I've researched til I'm blue in the face but still lack the "eye" for the finer tell-tale signs that the breeding season will be fruitful.
Another question:
If i feel marble sized follicles, does that mean the females have all ovulated already?
Im sorry for the questions, thank you for being patient

Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
GreenCountryHerp
Follicles are really hard to feel unless you really now what to look for. The best thing you can do is record the day she shed and start a count down. Just keep checking on her to see if there are any eggs. Most will not eat when gravid but some will continue to chow down. Either way good luck and keep a close eye on her for the next 4 or 5 weeks.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
noelaxibalba
Thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!