What would you do if you receive a snake through the USPS? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
The BoidSmith
What would you do if you receive a snake through the USPS?

Every now and then we hear about instances of people who unknowingly receive snakes through the postal service. We know it’s illegal to send them but it would also implicate that you (in the receiving end) can be held liable of breaking the law. Let’s assume you didn’t know the snake was going to be shipped USPS and the package shows at your door. You have to ponder if you reject the package and send the animal to a sure death or save him by accepting it and thus risk being liable. What would you do?

Thanks.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Every now and then we hear about instances of people who unknowingly receive snakes through the postal service. We know it’s illegal to send them but it would also implicate that you (in the receiving end) can be held liable of breaking the law. Let’s assume you didn’t know the snake was going to be shipped USPS and the package shows at your door. You have to ponder if you reject the package and send the animal to a sure death or save him by accepting it and thus risk being liable. What would you do?

Thanks.
I had that happen to me last year. I had no clue it was being sent USPS. My mail man brought me the package. It was marked glass.

I took the package, but did not know it was a Mex king until I opened the box. My wife sells a lot on Ebay, I thought is was something for her.

Needless to say, I contacted the seller, and had a real long talk with him. His excuse was, " He did not make enough money on it to ship it any other way".

I have not, nor do I intend to buy from him again.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Cat_72
The second snake I ever purchased online came to me via the USPS. Being a "newbie", I never thought to ask how it would be shipped....I just assumed it would be through legal means, even I knew it was illegal to ship USPS.

Long story kind of short......since my post office is a very small, rural office, if the package isn't there by the time he's done sorting his mail, he leaves and it waits til the next day for delivery, even the "overnight" packages. Of course, it didn't arrive til after he left, and when it didn't get here by late afternoon, I emailed the sender.....that's when I found out.....the post office couldn't find it (they were looking for MY name, but he had used my ol man's name since it was his paypal account I had used at the time).....finally, the NEXT MORNING they called and figured it out. I picked it up immediately, and the snake was fine, but the sender still got a royal butt chewing.....and the box was labeled, "LIVE PLANT". Hm. I couldn't bring myself to not accept it though....it was winter, and I knew the poor thing more than likely wouldn't survive the return journey. Later, I thought to look at the postage he paid to ship it......he charged me $40 shipping, it cost him $12 or so to ship it.

I have NEVER bought an animal since without clear confirmation of what carrier it is being shipped with. Even so.....I just don't think I could refuse to accept it if the seller were to lie and ship USPS, I'm too soft-hearted to make the critter suffer more time in that box.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
The BoidSmith
Well this thread was supposed to have a poll with the following options: 1. Accept it; 2. Accept it but never deal again with this individual; 3. Reject it. My experience with USPS was similar to that of Cathy. Years ago I bought a ball python from a guy name Tyronne. The old timers here might remember him as he was later selling hetero for ghost as if there was no tomorrow. Long story short, a box arrived at my door USPS. It had never occurred to me it was going to be shipped other than the usual carriers. To make matters even worse the snake had escaped the bag and it was loose in the box. Had it been a weaker box she would have escaped in the post office or the truck. I had to make my decision there and it was to accept, and never again deal with this individual.

Regards.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
DAND
I'd post it on the BOI after having a talk with the person. Id' accept the snake so that it wouldn't end up dead. The animals shouldn't suffer due to someone's ignorance or carelessness.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Wilomn
Hey dand, we have something else in common.

I too would have accepted the snake.

Then I would have made some call and asked some questions, much like I have of you. Cat still got your tongue there?

Unless it's a habitual thing, recieving snakes through USPS, I don't really think there should be any problem with saving the life of your snake by accepting it rather than almost certainly sealing it's death warrant by sending it back, only to be sent out again the same way. If it survives the return trip.

IF it was a newbie mistake, then take it with a grain of salt.

IF it's ray's reptilia,or scum of his ilk, you should have known better anyway.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:41 PM   #7
Fangthane
People being prosecuted for sending snakes thru USPS seems to be an urban legend. Something that everyone says can happen but no one's ever actually seen. I have trouble believing someone would be punished for accepting a package they didn't know was going to be shipped illegally..I'd accept the snake.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I have trouble believing someone would be punished for accepting a package they didn't know was going to be shipped illegally.
According to the law it seems to depend on what's being shipped. If you ship a garter snake and someone finds out they will probably tell you not to fo it again. If you ship a mamba and it escapes in the post office, you better call a very good lawyer.

Regards.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Fangthane
What about the (many?) people that ship snakes thru UPS, FedEx or DHL without having gone thru the process of being approved to ship exotics..is that illegal in the same sense as using USPS or is it just a matter of violating a company's TOS without actually involving legality? Are there any real-world consequences to doing that?

Old 07-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexPredatorBoids
People being prosecuted for sending snakes thru USPS seems to be an urban legend.
I would accept the package and never deal with the shipper in the future.

Regardless if no one was ever prosecuted,
That statement does nothing to help the hobby. Let’s just reassure newcomers that if they decide to skirt legal shipping practices, that there will be no consequences. Bad press does nothing for us.

Also, if you do a search on Lacy Act violations and snakes you will see some convictions noted.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!