Reptile Brumation Methods - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

View Poll Results: How do you brumate your reptiles
Interior cool room (no independant temp control) 5 35.71%
Interior cool room (independant temp control) 4 28.57%
Exterior cool room (no independant temp control) 2 14.29%
Exterior cool room (independant temp control) 2 14.29%
Other 4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
TheFragginDragon
Reptile Brumation Methods

I found a thread from a couple of years ago on this subject, and I've certainly read a few methods and tried a couple as well, but I wanted to go a little more in-depth with it. Wondering what method you use for brumation (those that do it, that is), and how you achieve your goal. Be as specific as you can (how you insulate, control temps, etc etc...) Exterior structure means any structure without it's own temperature control (like a garage, closet inside a garage, shed....). I hope we can see some ingenius ideas!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
hhmoore
I had to choose other...I move my colubrids into the basement.
There is no heat control, but it is not like an unheated outbuilding. Its probably about 60 degrees when I move them down (as long as I closed the outside door before it got too cold). During an average winter, it runs 50-55...if it stays at 50 for too long, or drops lower, I start thinking about warming things up a bit (I've never had to).
The colubrids I keep are pretty tolerant of those temps, so I really don't worry too much about them during that period. I usually remember to check on them every few weeks, but the only time I open their boxes is if the paper is wet.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
I chose interior cool room with independent thermostat.

My colubrids and rattlesnakes go into a cool room. I have a finished basement and I use one of the spare rooms in that as a cool room. The room has an electric heater I set to keep the room at a minimum of 55 degrees. Sometimes during a warm spell the room gets warmer than that, but it can't get cooler.

For the pythons they remain in the snake room with an oil filled electric heater. The heat pads are turned off and the heater in on a Ranco thermostat set to 70 degrees.

I use the same set up in the rat barn, an oil filled heater on a Ranco set to 50 degrees.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Excellent, thanks guys....let's keep it going!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
I voted "Other" cause I brumate my colubrids in the basement as well.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
WJS Herps
I use and unheated/uncooled Florida room, but it never gets too cold. It is enclosed and the ambient heat from the house keeps it over 50, usually quite a bit warmer.

Most of the time I have problems with it getting cool enough!

Bill

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
brumation methods