Fourth-grader's backpack too sexy for school? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Southern Wolf
Fourth-grader's backpack too sexy for school?

And it even has a snake on it

Read the full story and then tell us what ya think

http://moms.today.com/_news/2010/11/...exy-for-school

Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
lpd209
As a former School Resource Officer, I must say that for a nine Y/O kid to wear this to school puts the principal in a really bad situation. While I think the bag is fricking great, the school has to look at it as explicit. A school administrator is tasked with the responsibility of determining if clothing is "inappropriate" based on social standards and board policy. If they waiver, it's their rear end. If this was brought to my attention at the school I worked in, I would have to say that the sexual undertones of the backpack could easily be seen as inappropriate by many parents and it shouldn't not be brought to the school. We must remeber that school districts serve several hundred to several thousand kids and if it is deemed offensive...sorry about your luck. This is an unfortunate situation for the kid because he's just doing what dad wants and dad is teaching him to not respect the rules of the school or his teachers.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
KelliH
Of course it isn't appropriate for an Elementary School student. That kid's dad is a dingbat.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
WebSlave
Easy one. The principal needs to tell the dad that if his wife will come into the school dressed exactly like that to give a lecture to the entire student body and staff explaining convincingly why the drawing is acceptable in a school setting, then he would permit it, IF she is convincing enough in her conviction.

(or better yet, if the DAD would come in dressed like that.....)

Old 11-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
LauraB
Oh, good freakin grief! Why does every idiot and moron think their civil rights are being violated and stomped on when they blatently disrespect authoritah & then want to scream victim?

I'm far from a prude, but no, even if cool, that backpack is NOT appropriate for a 4th, 5th or even 6th grade student. Even in high school, it's questionable IMO. (And I have a very normal 16-year old son; he'd love it, but I ain't gonna let him carry it!)

The kid's been carrying that stupid backpack for two years! Enough already, Fred! You've had your run and your fun.

Teach your kid some honor and character, Fred ... he just might make it to adulthood with a little humility, respect and common sense, and without hating you for making him the focus of bad press and the object of humiliation and embarrasment among his peers and authority figures. No kid wants THAT kind of attention!

And if you don't get your way, Fred, you will dress your kid similarly??
You're pathetic and I feel sorry for your poor scapegoat son.

"To be good is noble, but to teach others how to be good is nobler--and less trouble." ~Samuel Clemens

(PS - kids don't want to carry the same backpack two years in a row either!
& good idea, Rich)

Old 11-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Southern Wolf
It could be that the kid is into snakes... and that was the only backpack that they could find that had a snake on it. I promise you at that age... he aint looking or thinking about girls.

just something to think about..... it could all have to do with the snake on the pack

Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
LauraB
Good point, Kevin ... you're right, it could just be about the snake for the kid.

That said, parenting a 4th grader is about being older, wiser and more responsible than the kid, and teaching him/her the boundaries. 4th graders don't run the show - parents do.

Seems to me that any parent with any sense would have vetoed that bookbag for a 4th grader, snake or no snake. It just ain't rocket science.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Southern Wolf
Personally... I dont see anything wrong with it. The girl is in a bikini... you can see that at ANY beach or pool.

Maybe the kids parents are into snakes (article doesnt say).... like I said... or maybe the kid just liked the snake. Either way.... other than her being in a bikini... she isn't doing anything provocative. If she was nude (like the snake/girl tat on my arm).... then yes... I might see things differently.... but she is not. Even when I had my tat done I had all the unmentionables covered (either by body position or long red hair) because I knew eventually my nieces would see it.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:35 AM   #9
Tiger Lilly
As a parent of boys, yes, I think it was inappropriate for school...buuuuut, I have to agree with ya'll that at that age, the kid isn't into girls yet. I also agree that everyone crying foul over it needs to get a life & concentrate on more important issues...like why can't Johnny read when he's in his senior year and about to graduate.
Would I have said anything if I had seen it? Nope. What others allow or don't allow their children to do or wear isn't really my business unless it directly affects MY children & their education.
Just my 2 cents worth. BTW--from an artistic point of view, I think its awesome!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!