Could This Be Possible? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 09-01-2003, 02:26 AM   #1
Boavoyage
Could This Be Possible?

Quote:
Check out this clutch of Pastels produced by breeding a Pastel Jungle male to a regular female.
All ten offspring turned out Pastel Jungle. I was floored.
They hatched out 8/22/03. I can't wait untill they shed, at which time I'll post new pictures (if they're still around)
One thing stands to reason, a snake that comes from a large clutch is likely to produce large clutches itself when it breeds.
If your looking at Pastel Jungles I'm letting the females go at $2000 The males $1000
thnx
One female ball python laid 10 EGGS?
ALL 10 eggs hatched 10 PASTEL JUNGLE balls?

I know it's not my business, but I really want to find out if any of these two could happen. Thanks

Old 09-01-2003, 08:26 AM   #2
meretseger
Only if pastel jungle is codom and the male was homozygous for it... then all the babies would be heterozygous but displaying the trait. Otherwise, not a chance. I don't know enough about ball morphs to tell you though.

Erin B.

Old 09-01-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
HerpVenue
10 eggs from a ball python is not unheard of.
specially the ones that are larger.
Supposedly the ones from ghana get larger.
Also supposedly the ones from NORTHERN ghana get even larger.

Some guy on kingsnake posted a picture of his ball python......IT WAS HUGE...it was laying 13-15 eggs.

That is the reason why most of the babies I am keeping this year are from Ghana. There are only a couple others whos origin I do not know...but because of their looks I amkeeping them. The rest of the females...ugly or not... I am keeping just because of where they are from.

Also the the rest of your post
1. Either the guy has a super pastel (homogenus for the pastel trait)
or
2. He is extremely lucky.

Look at Ralph Davis's website. Look at his birthing records. You will see that he is one fine example of an EXTREMELY lucky guy. The odds are always against him. But lady luck always slaps the odds away

Old 09-01-2003, 11:45 AM   #4
NEWReptiles
I have a female that laid 14 eggs last time she was bred.

As we speak, she is locked up with a stunning Pastel male.

Old 09-02-2003, 07:32 PM   #5
HerpVenue
Quote:
I have a female that laid 14 eggs last time she was bred.
I definately need one of those females.....sahweet

Old 09-02-2003, 10:47 PM   #6
screamdreams
My 2 cents...

While it may not seem likely, it is possible. Here's how I see it:

1.0 Pastel x 0.1 Normal

10 eggs...

Egg #1 has a 50% chance of coming out Pastel
Egg #2 has a 50% chance of coming out Pastel
Egg #3 has a 50% chance of coming out Pastel

and so on and so forth...

I realize most people would say 50% of the eggs in the clutch would be Pastel. IE: 6 eggs (3 Pastels)
I tend to lean towards the "each egg" percentage. Now granted...those are some kick but numbers, but still possible!! Just wish it happened to me.

Old 09-03-2003, 09:18 AM   #7
herpetological
Balls..

Wish it would happen with me too......damn! Just a note... Does anyone remember when no baby balls were imported, only gravid females? (early 80's) I saw numerous females that were close to 6'! Not just one or two but out of 1,000 or so at least 50 were these huge Ghana females. I have a pic of me holding a 6'5" female. I'll dig it up and scan when I have time. That would have been about 1987 when I was in VA. I was surprised that most publications list the largest at under 6'. Factors that may contribute to not seeing the "biggies" : They still eat them, sell the skins etc. The farms are keeping the big females now. They used to ship gravid females. Freight prices have increased dramatically so it is not economocally feasable to ship heavier adults. Also, largest clutch i've seen was 14 but, 6 eggs were infertile or deformed(Undeveloped). Thanks Ray HBR

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!