Question on housing boas together... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

YES! You can option out of the Google and InfoLinks ads! Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
jtrux
Question on housing boas together...

Ok I know the obvious answer is to separate them and i'm going to but I wanted to share my experience with housing too young boas together and what I've noticed and see what other people thought.

I picked up a pair of boas in a trade and I wasn't really interested in keeping them but my younger brothers really like them so i'm gonna keep them. They are really cool and super docile so they make great hands on pets when people come over.

Anyways when I got them they were roughly the same size but the male was just slightly larger. I want to say she was 90ish grams and he was maybe 110. Anyways I've had them maybe 2 months at most and she is right at 100 grams and he is 188. He is growing a ton and they eat the same amount (1 hopper a week, I just started offering him mice though because of his size). I keep them in 20 long but I just picked up another 20 long the other day and i'm gonna set her up in her own tomorrow.

Like I said previously, I had them together because I was just gonna turn around and resell them but now that i'm keeping them they are getting their own enclosures. Oh and I feed them separately outside of the cage as well if anyone was wondering.

So is it typical for one to grow faster or is it just an individual thing?

Old 07-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
Durante
Typically I believe it's the females who grow larger faster. Growth depends on other things things besides just food intake. Unless you weighed the hoppers every week it's possible he received bigger meals. It's also possible it's age or genetic related. Since you brought up about keeping them in the same enclosure I will say in my opinion that could play a role in the current growth rates too. I believe one of the problems with keeping boa's together is even though they aren't fighting they may be competing over areas. The little things are a bigger deal then I think most people realize. Hot & cool spots assist with digestion, stress caused from privacy or another snake can be another factor.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
JayBoa1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durante View Post
Typically I believe it's the females who grow larger faster. Growth depends on other things things besides just food intake. Unless you weighed the hoppers every week it's possible he received bigger meals. It's also possible it's age or genetic related. Since you brought up about keeping them in the same enclosure I will say in my opinion that could play a role in the current growth rates too. I believe one of the problems with keeping boa's together is even though they aren't fighting they may be competing over areas. The little things are a bigger deal then I think most people realize. Hot & cool spots assist with digestion, stress caused from privacy or another snake can be another factor.
All great info! I would just like to add that you must remember that every snake is different. Its as if you and your sister were close to the same size and she had a growth spurt and you grew slowly. It is possible that the male could be going through a spurt at the moment but will slow down.

As Durante said, the female usually grows to be bigger, but being housed together can cause stress. I would get them separated as soon as possible and also verify their sexes.

As long as they are eating and healthy then i doubt its anything to worry about, your female will go through a growth spurt one day and grow rapidly

Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
JCCS
While females typically get larger, males can grow just as quickly as females.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!