Insect-a-slip bug barrier - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:31 PM   #1
beakgeek
Insect-a-slip bug barrier

Hi Guys

I think this is of interest since a lot of people are raising feeder roaches that climb.

I had been doing searches for a product called bugstop that appears to be no longer available. I found a similar product called "Insect-a-slip" on http://www.bioquip.com/. I have ordered some and will let you know how it works.

Just thought people would like a heads up.

Regards,

Terry

Old 09-23-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
progeckos
Thanks for the heads up Terry. The fluoropolymer resin, milky white liquid sounds just like bug stop. I didn’t even know they stopped selling bug stop. I’m going to need more soon so thanks for doing the foot work for me.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
beakgeek
Ya know Cody, you can send me some roaches as gratitude ;-)

Terry

Old 09-23-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
progeckos
I don’t have any to spare…

...If I did give you some the leos would probably gang up on me in the night and hold me hostage until they get there roaches. They love their food.

Old 09-24-2004, 03:15 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
Bug Stop is gone for the present at least.
I wanted to add that Reptayls is now selling a product which is basically the same as Bug Stop if not identical, and it's cheaper than the stuff from BioQuip.
It's called Bug Barrier I do believe, I keep forgetting the name.

I haven't used any yet myself. I still have plenty of Bug Stop for my own use, but I'm out of it for my roach customers. I will most likely switch to carrying the small jars of BB for that purpose.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:14 AM   #6
beakgeek
I saw a site - the name I can't recall right now - that was selling an industrial grade lubricant for food processing equipment as a bug guard. It acts much like vasoline, but does not break down or melt with heat. Has anyone used this before?

Regards,

Terry

Old 09-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #7
progeckos
I have seen the stuff that Reptayls is selling and that’s another option. I know that Crunchy Critters is selling a product called Super Slick Roach Barrier. It’s industrial food grade grease. I think this is the site you were talking about Terry. It’s by far the cheapest I’ve seen but I’ve never tried it.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:14 PM   #8
Clay Davenport
The problem I have with the grease stuff is I'd think it would be messy.
I don't know if you guys have used vaseline or not, but it catches everything. If you dump the feces when cleaning the tub it's a horrible mess and it doesn't just wipe off with a paper towel.

This was the main reason I switched to bug stop to begin with, it dries completely and you can dump the feces without getting the barrier filthy.
I don't know if that food grade grease does the same thing, but I have suspected it would.

The price of the bug stop is higher than the grease, but I don't know how long an application of the grease lasts. The claim is that bug stop will last an average of 6 months per application, but I have a few tubs that I haven't touched up in 14 months. You just have to be careful and not wipe it off inadvertantly. With that lasting time and the ease of use, I don't mind paying the higher price.
I bought an 8oz can of bug stop for my use at $30 or so, and even with my 5 colonies going it's enough to last at least 5 years, so that's not expensive in the long run.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:34 PM   #9
progeckos
I’ve never used Vaseline because it is messy. I don’t think the Vaseline would dry like other products do. I have some tubs that have had bug stop on them for 9 months and it’s working great.

The Crunchy Critter website says “This product does not need to be reapplied unless you wipe it off or it gets severely dirty. One application could be your last application if you keep it clean. It stays consistently slick and does not gum up or dry up.”

So to me it sounds like it’s just like Vaseline. I like something that dries and I don’t have to worry about reapplying it all the time. I’m real happy with the bug stop so if I can still get it or something similar to it, it will be the product of choice.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!