albino snows - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
CarolinaKid099
albino snows

Here are two albino snows i hatched..

this one produced by an albino giant x snow het. albino

This one was produced from a snow het. albino x snow het. albino

These are not from a mack snow or a gem snow.
they are tremper albino.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Xavier
VEry nice what snow line are they?

Old 05-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
420Geckos
There awesome! Thanks for posting.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Gregg M
Are they Line bred snows???

Old 05-19-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
snared99
Very nice albinos but if they are snows what line????

Old 05-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
The NY Gecko
Since theyre not gems or macks then they have to be line bred do they not?

Old 05-20-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
CarolinaKid099
They are Incomplete co-dominant snows just like the "Gem" snows are. i have been working with these snows for about 5 years now. I strongly agree with Reptilian Gem's description of these snows. I don't think any snows were ever really "Line bred" (just a misnomer given to them) . I think all the non-mack snows fall under this.. I am glad Reptilian Gems is taking a stand to help decipher this myth about them. My original snows came from A1 Reptiles 6 years ago.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:40 AM   #8
A_Kendergirl
For as much as Jim (Reptilian Gems) hates using incorrect genetics terms, he sure is spreading around the incomplete dominate. If you're not seeing an identifiable homozygous form, then it's not incomplete dominate. I'm sure that in 5 years time you would have seen one.

While it's an interesting theory about the snows, I don't think it'll pan out. It may account for some snows, but I wouldn't say even close to all of them. However, I'm not the one to talk to about line breed snows...really, you need to talk to someone like Albey. He's someone whom I'm sure can talk ALL about line breed snows.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:53 AM   #9
A_Kendergirl
In the quest for what may be a more appropriate term, I have come upon "autosomal dominate"...and I don't know WHY I didn't think of it before (I have a genetic disorder that is autosomal dominate, giving my baby a 50% chance of also having it). In the case of autosomal dominance, there is a visible phenotype for the heterozygous form, but the homozygous form would be identical (instead of seperate in the case of incomplete dominate).

From Answers.com (just substitute gecko for person):

"A pattern of inheritance in which only one of the two copies of an autosomal gene must be abnormal for a genetic condition or disease to occur. An autosomal gene is a gene that is located on one of the autosomes or non-sex chromosomes. A person with an autosomal dominant disorder has a 50% chance of passing it to each of their offspring."

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;...mal%20dominant

Old 05-20-2006, 01:36 AM   #10
CarolinaKid099
Quote:
If you're not seeing an identifiable homozygous form, then it's not incomplete dominate.
I have seen them in homozygous form.

Lets do a small genetics lesson with incomplete co-dominant.

Lets say we take a normal snow and breed it to a normal gecko. If we believe its incomplete co-dominance, we will get roughly 1/2 the offspring will be normal and 1/2 of the offspring will be snow. The snows however will not be totally white, because there is a blending of the genes (normal and snow). Lets say we show the genotypes as RR for the normal and WW for the white snows. All the normal offspring would be considered RR and all the snow offspring would be considered from this clutch RW because those two traits blended together. Thats where the yellowness comes in the snows.

Now lets say we take those two snows from the first clutch (RW x RW) and breed them together. If you do a simple punnets square we end up roughly 25% will be RR (normal) , 50% RR (yellowy snows) and 25% WW (true white snows) . the homozygous form of the snows is the white (non yellow) ones.

We can mix up things and cross a yellowy snow (RW) with a white snow(WW). This cross will give you roughly 50% RW (yelowy snows) and 50% WW (White Snows)

You can do other punnets squares and work them out.

I have seen the "homozygous" ones.. they are brighter and more white , they stick out from the other snows.

Remember how the snows used to be graded A,B, and C? well there is how you get them. Obviously Grade A would be your homozygous form.

Line breeding involves no genes at all. You breed two boldly marked geckos together and you create more bolder marked geckos.. Same with coloration you breed the orangest geckos together to make more orange geckos.

All my breedings with my snows over the years have been consistant with the the incomplete codominant theory.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!