My new beardie Viv...... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-29-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
clarinet45
My new beardie Viv......

I recently got a 100gallon Viv for my oldest male and female. They will divide it. I can then move my hatchlings and split them up among the 20 gallons and the 30 gallon. I started decorating today when the glue dried. I ordered some plants from Black Jungle Terrarium Supply. The tank came from Glasscages.com and is Acrylic so they could ship it. I personally like them better cause it's so much lighter and holds heat well.
Everything else came from EBAY! cause it rocks. The 48" light was only 20 w/ship. the bulb was the expensive part!! I wanted a 10.0 for sure. The substrate is Bed-A-Beast cause my beardies love it and it makes planting things easier.
Enjoy the pictures! I use photoblogs cause i can't get the pics as small as the forums wants them. Imageshack rocks....
http://img242.imageshack.us/gal.php?...g=setup1zd.jpg

Oh, and before anyone says anything, the small male is only in with Feng until tomorrow. I moved everything into my room and was trying to condense. Electric and space-wise!
-Sara

Old 07-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
CheriS
Sara,

that small dragon should not be in with the larger one, even for a few minutes... thats just asking to lose a dragon.

To the other one, the small one looks like a meal if it gets hungry and that has to be stressing out the smaller one. This is something that everyone I know advises against and far too many people have lost one do to it

Old 07-30-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
clarinet45
I understand, They were moved today(technically yesterday). They are not that small in size and they have been kept together before. I am there to give them several feedings a day, so i haven't had problems with nips or hydration.
Thanks for the concern.
-Sara

Old 07-30-2005, 12:34 AM   #4
CheriS
beardies will mutilate clutchmates close to the same size, there is a big difference in these two....

If oyu have nothing else, but him in a tub or box for the night, not in with a dragon larger than him.. even id you had no problem before

Old 07-30-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
prodigy9618
No Worries

I think that your set up is fine. I am new to dealing with dragons and was told that keeping 2 at a different size was a bad idea and that keeping 2 males was even worst. I've had 2 males for 3 weeks now one is about 9 weeks old and the other 14 weeks and a pretty big size difference and Ive had no problems. They even seem to cuddle when they go to bed. The smaller one at first was scared and did all the submissive things you read about, but not anymore. Just make sure they dont miss a meal and I would think you would be ok.

Old 07-30-2005, 10:00 AM   #6
Matt Haines
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigy9618
I think that your set up is fine. I am new to dealing with dragons and was told that keeping 2 at a different size was a bad idea and that keeping 2 males was even worst. I've had 2 males for 3 weeks now one is about 9 weeks old and the other 14 weeks and a pretty big size difference and Ive had no problems. They even seem to cuddle when they go to bed. The smaller one at first was scared and did all the submissive things you read about, but not anymore. Just make sure they dont miss a meal and I would think you would be ok.
You will find that may change when breeding season comes around or a female is within view.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
CheriS
Sometimes what I read online just makes me sit here with my mouth open in amazment........

You know, we do not say these things to entertain new people or be know it alls, we tell new people so they do not got through or put their dragons through the same thing we have seen many, many people do over the last dozen years.. because so often they do not know that the dragons will eat, kill or injure each other.

Of course you are free to ingnore that, or listen to another new person who "it works for them right now anyway". But, use your head ... look online, I know that right now alone there is someone on a Yahoo list bearded_dragon_community that has 4 dragons sub adults chewing on each other, someone on pogona list that had their baby dragon die when it was eaten by a slightly larger beardie and warning others, another site that is dedicated to a dragon named Hexxon that was eaten/injured and died by another dragon, my favorite female we wanted a sibling too and can not buy one as the another dragon took the leg off her father and he died. Even on Ray Hoser's site who is an Australian Herpetologist, and appeared in reptile magazine, field researchers report seeing a slightly larger dragon in the wild consumming one slightly smaller and the trama killing it. Thats just this week I can think of!!!

We do not make these things up to waste time online typing.... seeing someone advising or advocating doing it just amazes me!!!!! This gives a whole new meaning to animal abuse... knowing it happens, and the risk, but then doing it and advising others :::shakes head:::

Old 07-30-2005, 01:34 PM   #8
Melle
I agree, Cheri! great post. Prodigy, you said you only had them together like that for 3 weeks? That is such a small amount of time to even make any assumtions that they will be fine together their whole lives. I would hope that you will seperate them right away, it would be devastating for you to lose one of your babies, or have one of them lose a leg, arm, whatever. I would hate for that to happen to anyone Why take any risks like that with the pets that you love?

One of my beardies, Kami, who is a year old now, was housed at the pet shop with 2 other beardies of the exact same size, all babies then. I work at that shop, and I know for a fact that they got fed a lot, and fed as much as they should. They were all doin great, growing great, and one morning we came into work and one of the beardies had eaten a foot, tail tip, and leg off of each of the other 2 beardies. So I adopted Kami and another employee adopted the other one, after they went to the vet a few times and were fixed all up. Kami is missing her back left leg from the knee down, as well as a significant part of her tail.

Old 07-30-2005, 05:22 PM   #9
rujonesin
Charlie

Are you kidding me?

First you admit you are new to dragons ( 3 weeks).

Second, you were told keeping two different sized dragons together was bad and two males together was bad yet you go ahead and do both things you were told not to do.

Third. In your 3 weeks of vast experience (mis-experience) you are now in the position to advise other people to go ahead and make the same mistakes you are making because nothing has happened yet.

You have to understand we aren't bashing you because of what you are doing but it is harmful to allow misinformation to be publically posted without disputing it. Let me just state now. If you keep your two males together they are going to fight eventually. At that age the same sex pairing isn't as crucial as the size difference. You are fortunate that one has not killed or maimed the other. I want you to understand it is not if this is going to happen but when.

Old 07-30-2005, 10:43 PM   #10
Melle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rujonesin
I want you to understand it is not if this is going to happen but when.
That pretty much sums it up right there.

I hope you do what is right, and best for your animals. Give them seperate setups. You are only setting yourself up for future grief. Dont take risks with your animal's lives just because its easier or cheaper for you. I can't believe you think that 3 weeks will detrmine if something is going to happen or not....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!