crocodile skinks -point to remember - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Brian - LCRC
crocodile skinks -point to remember

Leeway Corucia Research Center (LCRC)

To Crocodile skink guardians:

Always remember that this species has a Circulus structure like Corucia.

"The social bond and parental attention of reptiles appears equal in both egg laying and live bearing reptiles. Another case of egg laying lizards with a Circulus is the species: Tribolonotus gracilis - underlined, the crocodile skink. The female will sit on the egg and curl her tail around it and guard the young. As in the case of Corucia, the young tend to stay close to the parents, especially, the mother who guards the neonate. The young skink will often climb on the adaxial (back) area of the female or male for protection and security, just as in the case of the Solomon Islands Monkey skink: Corucia zebrata -underlined."

Please do not strip babies from their Circulus group until they are of the proper age !

Thanks for listening.
Sincerely,
Brian
LCRC

Old 06-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
John E Dove
Mr. Schnirel,
Would I be correct in assuming then that you would recommend allowing the eggs to incubate in the skinks enclosure then?
I don't keep any Tribolonotus gracilis but I am constantly in search of new knowledge.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Brian - LCRC
Leeway Corucia Research Center (LCRC)

Hello John,

Yes, based on the nuturing aspect of this species and evidence of young staying close to parents shortly after birth for protection and security, it would be the smart play rather rather an approach with , say, a chicken which , if the eggs are removed, she is none the wiser and will just lay more. Yes, the chicken sits on the eggs but other than basic instinct, there doesn't appear to have the social closeness as in a Circulus relationship.

Corucia, for example, show notable stress and irritation as a neonate when separated from their parents and offered for sale isolated individually.

As with many things, natural can be the best course, letting the female nuture the egg can be not only more cost effective, labor effective, but less worry as well.

For those who are already starting out as incubated eggs or acquired hatchlings or have had their mother die, I would suggest keeping the neonates in pairs for a period of time before selling or trading. It would reduce stress and make for a healther individual. Also, I would be best if going to new venue to make sure there is at least another Tribolonotus gracilis available for companionship (although introductions may be tricky). On this last note, however, when one takes on charges, it can be said, that one must be prepared to do the best for their animals and put with the costs and hardships to ensure enrichment.

Sincerely,
Brian
LCRC

Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
ItsJustJosh
I found this thread entirely by chance, but since I have bred Tribolonotus gracilis repeatedly, I thought I would offer some insight....

First of all, T. gracilis eggs are not at all demanding in terms of temperatures. I have hatched them without the incubation temperature rising above 72F. I have hatched them on moistened perlite, as well as in the original nesting container, which contained damp sphagnum moss. I have also had them hatch after experiencing high temps in the upper 80s.

I keep adult pairs in 28qt plastic boxes with a large, low water bowl, a food bowl, a shoebox of damp sphagnum, a piece of cork bark, and paper substrate.

The basking temperature in the rack is 82F max, and winter nights drop into the low 60s. Females typically lay 4 eggs/year for me.

I have found that hatchlings do best when kept with the adult pair. In my experience, they stay in the nesting box even if the adults leave. I released several isopods into the nestboxes, and witnessed hatchlings eating small isopods on many occasions. The shoebox also has a constant supply of condensation, which adults and hatchlings will drink.

Parental care has not been obvious to me, except that the adults don't cannibalize their young, or other neonates introduced to the group.

This is just my personal experience. Others may have observed different results.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Thumper
Thanks for the help guys. One day I may keep this species. I appreciate the insight.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!