Lost Tegu!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Nero557
Unhappy Lost Tegu!!!

Oh man... Sometime this morning, my new Red Tegu escaped... she broke the screen on the cage she was in while I was sleeping, I can't find her anywhere... the door to my room was open so I fear the worst. I've turned my room upside down and still no luck. She's only like 20in so it's going to be hard for me to find her. My room is in the basement, so it's cold down here... also, my sister and her husband just moved back in, so all of their boxes and stuff are down here now... I can't even move a lot of it because of the size/weight and I don't have much room to get around or move around things. Its pretty cold on the concrete outside my room and the other rooms down here I've also searched figuring since they were warmer than the rest of the basement she'd be there, but no such luck. My dad hates my animals so I have to find her before him, because there is no telling what he'll do to her. This blows, I can't believe the way the screen broke, it must have already been broken and I just never saw it, and she just opened it up more... I've already fixed it and now there is no way for her to escape from it now. (then again, I guess it doesn't matter because she's gone...) If anyone can give me some tips, I'd really appreciate it. I already have a light out about a foot from the ground for her, for heat, and I've put some turkey out... but I'm not sure what else I can do... sorry so long

Old 06-17-2006, 01:56 AM   #2
hhmoore
Unfortunately, the only recommendation is a THOROUGH search. Start at one corner of your room work your way along the walls...checking (really checking) everything you encounter. Behind and under any furniture; inside boxes, drawers, and footwear; check bedding or clothes that he could hide in... everything - even if you think it can't be there. Check shelves, closets, etc the same way. Then, tackle the basement. It sounds like a daunting task, and it can be...especially if you don't find it or finish the search the first time - because then you get to start over again.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:21 AM   #3
varnyard
Art, I am sorry she got loose. I am sure she will turn up. There are a few things to keep in mind. Tegus are not climbers, they prefer to stay on the ground. That said, I would be looking under everything. If you have a refrigerator, that would be a great place for hiding. Also the stove, if it is gas it will be a warmer place to hide. As for the refrigerator, the compressor will make it warm. But my thought will be that her hiding spot will be under something, a warm dark place is where she will be. Keep us posted. I am worried about her as well.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
markface
sorr to hear your critter got out . wish i could give some good advice to you but it seems you got about the best advice that could be given . good luck finding her .

Old 06-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Nero557
AH HA! I found her (thank god) she was sleeping behind the treadmill that my sister brought over. I sprinkled some flour on the floor and put out food last night before I went to work, then when I came home from work I checked the flour and found her little tracks.... Thanks for all the help guys. I don't know where she was hiding yesterday because I looked EVERYWHERE, well obviously not because I didn't find her, but you get the point. Well, she gave me a good scare. I fixed the top on the enclosure she's in, and now she shouldn't be able to get out. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
varnyard
Art, that is great news!! I am glad you found her.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Nero557
Yeah, me too, thanks Bobby.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
varnyard
No problem!!

Old 06-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
hhmoore
glad you found her.
you might be better off with hardware cloth, as opposed to (even a heavy gauge) screen.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #10
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
glad you found her.
you might be better off with hardware cloth, as opposed to (even a heavy gauge) screen.
Harald is right!! Tegus have awesome power, along with sharp claws. It also seems they know just how to use them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!