Ohio law not a ban on reptiles after all? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
wamartin67
Ohio law not a ban on reptiles after all?

I've been reading through the new Ohio law at work this morning and, unless I'm misreading it, people can still acquire new restricted snakes after the permit deadline of 1/1/2014. Section 935.08 is the section of the law that pertains specifically to restricted snakes and part/paragraph (A)(2) states that anyone acquiring a restricted snake after 1/1/2014 has 120 days to aqcuire a permit.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
Pasodama
No, there is not an actual ban (under SB 310). However, one will be required to jump through hoops and it will hit pocketbooks.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
wamartin67
People will have to prioritize their wants. Do they keep their two pack a day habit or are they willing to use that money to fulfill the permit requirements? Do they get that new $500 tattoo or use the money for a permit for their Gaboon viper? I'm getting ready to sell my motorcycle for money to purchase antivenin because I would rather have my snakes than my bike.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Gloryhound
That is all well and good, but a permit system is all about keepers that follow the laws paying for keepers that don't. The responsible paying for the irresponsible. Also it brings the government into your home and pretty much gives them a reason to come in whenever they want.

Tell those that were Tattoo'd with numbers during WWII that giving the government a tracking system is a good thing!

Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
AbsoluteApril
in this other thread:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=319183

It was brought up that it bans new ownership and permits are only for what you already own? Dennis' post #35 in that thread:

Quote:
The measure would ban new ownership of exotic animals, while allowing current owners to keep their creatures by obtaining a new state-issued permit by 2014 and adhering to strict new caretaking standards.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Pasodama
Here is the link to the 310 bill/act:
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/b...?ID=129_SB_310

Old 06-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
wamartin67
@AbsoluteApril. I know what had been posted about the law before but it is wrong. That's why I started this thread. I read through pretty much all 40 pages last night and there are different regulations for "dangerous animals" versus "restricted snakes". You cannot acquire new dangerous animals after 1/1/2014. You canacquire new restricted snakes after 1/1/2014.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
wamartin67
@AbsoluteApril. I know what had been posted about the law before but it is wrong. That's why I started this thread. I read through pretty much all 40 pages last night and there are different regulations for "dangerous animals" versus "restricted snakes". You cannot acquire new dangerous animals after 1/1/2014. You can acquire new restricted snakes after 1/1/2014.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
AbsoluteApril
thank you, that is why I posted the statement as a question since I wasn't sure myself.

Some more info, a blog posted by USARK VP gives some more details about what went down:
http://erikanwalsh.wordpress.com/201...ark-and-pijac/

Some snipets:

"Senator Balderson made multiple promises to USARK during these meetings. Balderson assured USARK that only crocodilians and venomous snakes would would fall under his permit system (no constrictors), and that the system would be favorable to industry and it would be “business as usual.” He reversed on those promises.

On March 8, 2012, Balderson introduced SB 310, seeking to enact a sweeping law to establish requirements governing the possession of multiple species of animals, which would be designated as “dangerous wild animals” as well as multiple species of snakes which would be designated under the law as “restricted snakes.” He reversed on his promise to omit constrictors. He reversed on his promise to maintain “business as usual” for the reptile industry. SB 310′s provisions with respect to snakes were so onerous and expensive that they would have served to be a de facto ban on the ownership of multiple species of constrictor snakes as well as venomous snakes."

"PIJAC took a different approach. PIJAC hired a local lobbyist named Bill Byers and, through Byers, continued to engage in discussions with Balderson as well as other members of the senate.

Something must be said about Byers. March 27, 2012 was the first day of opponents’ testimony before the Senate Agriculture, Environment and Natural Resources Committee. Byers was there early to meet with Chairman Hite and commented publicly in the State House hallway that he had seen Wyatt with his “tattooed and pierced followers.” He went on to denigrate Wyatt personally as well as the reptile constituents that were gathered at the State House to testify. This is the lobbyist that took a fee to ostensibly represent the interests of reptile owners opposing SB 310."

"Agreeing to minor modifications to Balderson’s de facto ban constituted a loss to USARK’s members and constituents, particularly because Balderson insisted on keeping an administrative rule making provision in SB 310 granted the director of agriculture unfettered discretion to add animals to the dangerous wild animals list and/or to the restricted snake list without legislative process."

Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #10
alex bleas
Drugs are illegal in Ohio and the police can't in force those laws. Why will they in force pet owner ship laws. Seriously think about its all a joke. If they start going into are homes and going after are pets they look like hitler and his army. We are under attack for sure. Plus if you buy a permit you will be on the list forever and will get searched like a drug dealer. Hitler had a list too and you see how that turned out.

Alex

Alex

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!