Crested Geckos and Millepeds - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
coolstudio
Crested Geckos and Millepeds

Greetings Herp Enthusiasts!

I am curious if anyone has had experience keeping Crested Geckos together with African Giant Millipedes? The book entitled "RHACODACTYLUS: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR SELECTION AND CARE" mentions that they can coexist together and the Millepedes will actually eat the Gecko droppings. However, there is some level of toxins and/or poison that the Giant Black Millepedes can produce...

Any advice of expertize is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Brett
GeckoLovers.com

Old 11-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
Davisd00
And as you answer that, Ive just aquired a trio of baby cresteds... Any do's and donts on handling and housing would be appreciated. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Will try and get some Pics up soon.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
dragonflame
I hadn't heard about the millipede thing... If they do produce toxins I wouldn't chance it. And since they are GIANT, I wouldn't keep babies with them.

Chris, plenty of hiding spots and foliage. I would mist them 2-3 times a day, just a little more than adults. No water dishes for a couple months. They are so small and could drown. I keep a toilet paper roll in there for climbing. Baby food is yummy!

Old 11-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
dragonflame
Oh! And feel free to handle them a bunch! They need to start knowing you are safe. They will learn who you are, its so funny. My Eowyn jumps back to me after I put her on someone else. She licks babyfood from my fingers!

Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #5
lizza25
I dont realy have much to say but mi new crestie baby likes mango,banna and peach baby food.You just put a dab on your hand and their long tounge will lick it..it is s0 cute~

Old 12-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
snowgyre
I'm ressurrecting this topic mainly because I'm worried about the whole millipede thing. Millipedes produce odorous chemicals that can be toxic. If you pick them up, you'll notice they smell like almonds, and that's the chemical that you can react negatively to. Now, the chemicals probably need to be ingested to have a high degree of harm, but gecko skin is much more sensitive than ours and it's possible that the chemicals can be absorbed through it.

The book on Rhacs was written by people far more experienced than I when it comes to reptile herpetoculture, but I really think it's just asking for trouble by co-housing these two species. If you'd like to have feces cleaned up, throw mealworms in the tank. They're safer, edible, and don't get to be huge.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #7
coolstudio
Thanks for your reply

Great advice there. I did get the millipedes, however, when investing in $2,000 in my gecko colony I thought it might be wise to hold off on adding then to my vivarium at this time. But I do like the concept and still considering this after more research!

Thanks again, Brett

Old 12-14-2005, 02:04 PM   #8
sircat
I know a vet in Maine who keeps millipedes with his but I don't think he's on this forum...I don't know enough to give more feedback than that about them...

about the babies, if they vary in size or start to vary in size, seperate them into their own cages...I use kritter keepers

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!