Someone please help, medical question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
lairofdragons
Someone please help, medical question

I have a female BP that is about 3 years old and about 3 1/2' long 1300 grams...eats every week and I came home tonight her mouth is wide open and she is thrashing around almost like a nurological probem.....she wont shut her mouth and just pushes her head around the tub and every once in a while goes into what looks like a croc's death roll....tounge is not flicking like normal but at a slow pace. Temps are good 88 degrees in warm spot and low to mid 70's in cool area. Humidity aprox 55 to 60. I have seen respitory infections years ago in snakes but I have never seen anything like this and I am sure its not respitory.
Any one seen anything like this and what is my next move?
Travis

Old 06-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
JordanAng420
Is her mouth open constantly....like, it won't shut??? This is urgent... The thrashing concerns me as well...snakes (and other animals) generally do this in an urgent attempt to survive, whatever the situation might be...

How is the snake right now? In any case, i'd contact a veterinarian who is experianced with reptiles immediately.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
JordanAng420
Also, can you give us specifics of the enclosure she is kept in?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
lairofdragons
Mouth will shut and she is not acting lathargic....its almost like she broke her bottom jaw...she has never stiked at anything but food. Its 11 pm here and the only thing open are emergency centers and I called them and none know anything about snakes.....go figure.
Shes not wheezing or coughing she acts like she swallowed something and is having a hard time breathing but nothing in her tub she could have swallowed.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
lairofdragons
32 quart rubbermaid tub...newspaper and water bowl. I have a rack system that hold 15 32quart tubs...everyone else is fine. i have been around reptiles for a long time and I have never seen anything like this.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Jerry_c_62
very sorry to hear this

I hoped more people would have responded by now, I just read you OP. They may just be in the same boat I am. That boat is the "I have know idea what to tell you" boat. Other than to get it to a herp vet ASAP.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Uroboros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_c_62 View Post
I hoped more people would have responded by now, I just read you OP. They may just be in the same boat I am. That boat is the "I have know idea what to tell you" boat. Other than to get it to a herp vet ASAP.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Exactly. I don't want to post and get in the way of people that do know what they are talking about.

The only thing (broken jaw idea is a pretty good one) that I could come up with is the damned IBD. As soon as anyone says "neuro" they don't even have to finish the sentence.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_c_62 View Post
I hoped more people would have responded by now
I'm kind of glad they didn't.

It's irresponsible and dangerous to diagnose an animal or give medical advice to anyone without actually seeing the animal firsthand.

Most the people who might actually be qualified to do so- and there are veterinarians who use this site- won't do so because it's simply not the correct way to handle a medical problem. The highly subjective description of the person who's witnessing it, described in the adjective laden terms associated with their own worry over the health of the animal and filtered through their own perception and experiences... it's very nearly useless.

Any advice beyond basic care stuff and "take it to a vet" is inappropriate. Open wound? Keep it clean and take it to a vet. Funky respiration? Keep it in an appropriate enclosure, check for any contaminants that may have made their way in and take it to a vet. Motor problems? Observe and possibly record them and then take it to a vet.

Pretty much anything, the answer is always going to be to make sure there's nothing obviously dangerous, wrong or unhealthy and then take it to a vet. A vet who can personally and directly examine the animal and then apply their education and experience to diagnosing and addressing the problem.

Doesn't matter if there was no vet available at that hour, it would still have been grossly inappropriate and irresponsible for anyone to try to recommend a course of treatment based on a post on a message board.

So to anyone who read this and chose not to respond with advice, guesses about the nature of the problem, courses of treatment or a selection of medications... Good job and thank you for your restraint, as frustrating as it may be for the original poster, it was the responsible thing for you to do- and as much as the original poster may not want to hear this, the fact that they asked to begin with was irresponsible and out of line.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
lairofdragons
Ohh...I sorry I guess it is wrong to ask a question on a forum for advice and very irresponsible of me to want to help my BP....I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced the same symptoms in their snake(s)....to know if there was something I could do to HELP IT until I "TOOK IT TO A VET" that is qualified with snakes n my area, which was my orginal plan from the get go.....
But I guess the 20 something snake breeders I tried to call with no answer on their phones or the response I got from the ones who did answer the phone was "POST A QUESTION ON A FORUM" which was my last resort because of the BS associated with asking a question for medical advice.
I read through the forums all the time and never post replys because in every question their is someone like you that takes the "Holy Than Thou" response to any simple question. But hey thanks for your opinion I will cherish it and take your advice.
Oh and by the way "SHE IS AT THE VET".....first thing the following morning.
Travis
Lair of Dragons

Old 06-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Uroboros
Quote:
Originally Posted by lairofdragons View Post
Any one seen anything like this and what is my next move?
Travis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lairofdragons View Post
Ohh...I sorry I guess it is wrong to ask a question on a forum for advice and very irresponsible of me to want to help my BP....I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced the same symptoms in their snake(s)....to know if there was something I could do to HELP IT until I "TOOK IT TO A VET" that is qualified with snakes n my area, which was my orginal plan from the get go.....
It doesn't look like you were looking to HELP IT until you TOOK IT TO A VET, it looks like you were asking what you were supposed to be doing.

Seamus gave some very good reasons that medical advice shouldn't be doled out over the internet (the internet never lies...).

98% of the people here are trying to help others and are actually quite valuable. Like Seamus said, the only real valuable things anyone could have told you is to look for obvious things, make sure it's conditions are OK, and take it to a vet.

Don't take it as a mean response, he was trying to help you realize why it seemed that noone was helping you, not kicking you around. We aren't ignoring you, there's just nothing we can do.

Be sure to fill us in when you figure out what's wrong with your dude, and GL to him/her/it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!