Pet Shops Requiring Zoonosis Signature - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
neilg
Question Pet Shops Requiring Zoonosis Signature

i noticed that my local mom n pop pet shop, as well as big chains PetSmart and PetCo her in Signal Hill, CA require a form be filled out and signed for anyone buying even a TADPOLE, salamander, newt, lizard, now, as well as mammals.

the form indicates that the buyer has received a brochure about ZOONOSIS and is aware of the dangers of disease transmission from animals to humans and agrees to take preventative caution and holds the seller harmless from any diseases transmitted by the animals they sell.

in previous years, never observed this. it's good they're doing this.

but, is it a nationwide thing now?

Old 10-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
hhmoore
I know it's been a requirement at shows I've attended for several years - anybody buying has to be given information about Salmonella.
It's been a long time since I bought anything from a pet store, so I cannot comment on that. (I did a quick search, and saw some state requirements; but don't have the time to dig deeper right now)

Did you try asking at the local shop? They'd probably be happy to tell you .

Old 10-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
neilg
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I know it's been a requirement at shows I've attended for several years - anybody buying has to be given information about Salmonella.
It's been a long time since I bought anything from a pet store, so I cannot comment on that. (I did a quick search, and saw some state requirements; but don't have the time to dig deeper right now)

Did you try asking at the local shop? They'd probably be happy to tell you .
woops i didnt think to ask, silly me. just tend to window shop LPS tanks on spare time; and notice buyers being required to sign for tadpoles, turts, etc

one rep was requiring it for FISH but then the manager stepped in and apologized to the buyer that the rep was a newbie and signatures aren't required for fish.

buy yea i'll ask next time if its a local or national thing nowadays. would make sense if its national since businesses are always out to get liabilities waived by their customers/clients.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Herps Alive!
Some states require this but it may well be a chain policy nationally, as you point out, to mitigate liability.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!