Best state for Herp Laws - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
ExoticsExpress
Lets hope this doesnt jinx the future of PA and other great herp areas lol.

Anthony Allis
ExoticsExpress@aol.com

Old 03-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #12
snakeventure
Thanks for all the info, That's what I figured about PA. I think we're going to stick with our Scranton plan.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 AM   #13
cyberfrog
PA is the spot bud, not too many states as wide open, maybe Texas. With unrestricted land you can have a lion, a nile croc, and a herd of zebras in your back yard if you wanted. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I don't think PA has anything against it. However, Hedgehogs are verboten, don't ask me why, the only thing I ever read was that they were afraid of competition with the pork industry which is beyond silly.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
monkeywrench133
Arizona is pretty good. The only regulations in place are on native species, and if you've got a state hunting license, you can keep many of them as well. The one exception to that is Alligators, for some reason they're illegal in AZ.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
fishmich
i honestly like florida. i dont think its a great idea to have no restrictions in place because that allows for future bans due to irresponsible keepers. when you make rules and regulations like florida does, it shows that the state is willing to work with the hobbyists. it also prevents or at least deters illegal or irresponsible keeping of animals. i live in michigan where only local laws and ordinances restrict ownership. i like the way it is now but who knows how long it will stay this way.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
snakeventure
Hedgehogs?? I read up on this and it sounds like hedgehog breeders in PA have similar difficulties as we have with the law, being told different things, treated like drug dealers, etc... I guess this is the equivalent of the laws banning, "all constrictor snakes." Sometimes I seriously wonder why we still call this a free country.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
snakeman101172
Avoid New York like the plague. Pa is as liberal as they get and seem to remain consistent in that.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #18
snakeventure
Has anyone had any experience with the PA Game Commission. Their law states that exotic animals cannot be kept without a permit and only for public display. I called, and according to them, they define exotic as anything that does not naturally live in the state. I then asked them what about Hamsters, the lady said hamsters were OK because they are domesticated. When I asked what is the definition of domesticated, she could not give me an answer. She did say anything like a sugar glider, hedgehog, wallaby, would be exotic. If I was found with a wallaby (which I plan on bringing with me), the animal would be confiscated and I would be subject to numerous fines.

Take a look at this story: http://pgchallofshame.com/stories/page2.htm

Well, I guess we may have to look at Ohio now. Is there ANY STATE that has a clue how to properly handle exotic animals without out right banning them???

Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #19
RJK890
Florida Sucks!

Florida is not a good choice if you are looking for relaxed exotic animal laws. The new ban on large constrictors is just the begining for them. They are going to tighten restrictions and add species to the list in the near future. I have talked to a few animal control officers and that is what they say. I am going to be relocating soon too, and I'm thinking about Ohio.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #20
fishmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK890
Florida is not a good choice if you are looking for relaxed exotic animal laws. The new ban on large constrictors is just the begining for them. They are going to tighten restrictions and add species to the list in the near future. I have talked to a few animal control officers and that is what they say. I am going to be relocating soon too, and I'm thinking about Ohio.
florida is not relaxed but they are regulated. in my opinion, there should be rules. floridas permit system shows they are willing to work with hobbyists rather than restrict the animals all together. a state with no regs makes it much easier for an inexperienced person to end up with a hot or a large constrictor they are unable to care for.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!