To any clowns that say New York "state ! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
Guy Castro
To any clowns that say New York "state !

Why don't you say Kansas "state"??? On such a small state,why the "upstate"? California is much longer,yet no "upstate" Cali!

Old 02-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
Firefly713
Errrr.... Isn't it just because it's a city and a state? I think I'd save my frustration for people who say 'I could care less' or 'irregardless'.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:59 AM   #3
LauraB
Quote:
I think I'd save my frustration for people who say 'I could care less' or 'irregardless'.
What she said. Or those "sheeple" who begin their sentences with the word "so". Or how about those who use more than one question mark or exclamation mark to try to make a point?

Old 02-23-2015, 04:16 AM   #4
Occidentalis
This is pretty silly. It's to distinguish the city from the state with the same name. It's like specifying the state you're in when you tell someone "Kansas city".

Old 02-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
snowgyre
Exactly. Plus, as someone who grew up in Upstate New York, there is a reason the country-folk like to specifically identify themselves as non-city folk. For example, I'm a professional wildlife biologist and if I say I'm from New York, people look at me oddly and are like... how in the world did you get into wildlife biology in the middle of a city?

This is especially true overseas. People in other countries don't hear about New York State, they hear about New York City, so if you say you're from New York, they immediately think you're some mafioso from the city packing a gun, dealing drugs, and prostituting. I kid you not.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
E.Shell
IMO, a lot of people from New York (state) would like to disassociate themselves from New York (city). There is a huge cultural difference between largely rural upstate New York and metropolitan New York City.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #7
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Exactly. Plus, as someone who grew up in Upstate New York, there is a reason the country-folk like to specifically identify themselves as non-city folk. For example, I'm a professional wildlife biologist and if I say I'm from New York, people look at me oddly and are like... how in the world did you get into wildlife biology in the middle of a city?

This is especially true overseas. People in other countries don't hear about New York State, they hear about New York City, so if you say you're from New York, they immediately think you're some mafioso from the city packing a gun, dealing drugs, and prostituting. I kid you not.
Exactly.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
hhmoore
Clown?
Google NYS and NYC.
Further, since you remarked about the size of NY state, perhaps you should consider that the recorded population of NYC in 2014 was 8.4 million...which comprises nearly half of the State's recorded population for that same year (19.75 million).
But, yeah, I say I'm from NYS for the reasons posted above...say NY, and just about everybody not from here thinks NYC

Old 02-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
snowgyre
Yep, and given that New York City flooded several upstate towns using eminent domain to create reservoirs for drinking water, there's a LOT of bad blood between upstaters and city-goers. That, and NYC is the reason why NYS has the highest taxes of any state, exceeding even California.

Google the song "Ashokan Farewell" and you'll see where I'm coming from.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Castro View Post
California is much longer,yet no "upstate" Cali!
SoCal vs NorCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
People in other countries don't hear about New York State, they hear about New York City, so if you say you're from New York, they immediately think you're some mafioso from the city packing a gun, dealing drugs, and prostituting. I kid you not.
haha yup! When overseas, I was asked multiple times 'You're from the US! San Francisco or New York?' as if those are the only places the exist here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!