The Discussion Forums future - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: What should I do about the discussion forums on this site?
Remove them now. They are not needed nor wanted here. 5 5.43%
Remove any after 30 days of no activity. 16 17.39%
Remove any after 90 days of no activity. 12 13.04%
Leave them. What's the harm? 52 56.52%
What discussion forums?? I didn't know you had any! 7 7.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2003, 09:24 AM   #31
Sasheena
I think that the design of the very first page is the true answer to "fixing" the site so that it gets more traffic, if there is more traffic to get. There is no way in heck it needs to be as busy as "The other site" ... it can still be eye pleasing and yet convey all of the information necessary for anyone to know what is out there.

The suggestion to modify the table of contents page was, I think, more a suggestion of eliminating the LINKS to the subgroups rather than the GROUPS themselves. If the Table of Contents page only had links to the larger sections (instead of listing all the minutia found in each section), people would see.. "oh, there are discussion forums!"

I think that as the [bleeping] gets worse elsewhere, extending even to a person's private email via the site, that people are going to start looking elsewhere to find a "home"... that's what happened to me. I got tired of [bleep] and I came here, because of course anything worth [bleeping] is worth visiting to find out why!

I do have to say that when I first came here, it was VERY hard to figure out where the BOI was and all the other things of interest. So rather than eliminating those groups you've already spent your time establishing, change the front page.

Sorry.. I'm rambling

Old 09-02-2003, 09:59 AM   #32
E2MacPets
Quote:
Originally posted by Stardust
Nope sorry Steve, think the BOI should be lower, with it on top that is where people will stop without looking any further.
I think sales should be first, then discussion forums, a little more condensed.
People are going to look for the BOI no matter where it is at, so why not put it low, so when scrolling down to it people are looking at all the other forums as well.
General Business is also a place where people like to go and know it is here, so it as well should be lower.
Photos, well, from what I have seen on other forums, people like photos, that is an eye catcher and also, IMHO be on top.
Rozann,

While I agree it would be nice to force viewers to look at underused forums first. Personally I don't think the discussion forums should be disbanded, but I don't think forcing people to view them before getting to the BOI is going to encourage use of the site.

If you wanted to call attention to specific underused forums you could put a rotating "Spotlight on..." topic right above the BOI.

Old 09-02-2003, 10:56 AM   #33
Stardust
Steve,
I in no way meant to say or imply to "force" people. Sorry if that is what came across.
I just know that for me, I forget the dicscussion forums are here. I come here, look on the BOI, maybe scan around to sound off, and a few other places that I know that get hits and then leave to other forums for discussion. I have been on here for awhile now, so I know what doesn't really get used so I usually just ignore them and forget they are there. I do not even scroll down enough to see. If I did have to scroll down to get to somewhere here that I am used to getting to and I happen to see that something is lit up, I would probably look. I simply have looked at the discussion forums enough to know they hardly get used and now have forgotten about them, kind of like out of site out of mind.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:24 AM   #34
SnakeMover
Please leave the discussion forums

Hi, I'm new here. I was first told to come here for the BOI to check someone out. Since then I've discovered a lot of very good information. The BOI also helped me dodge a bullet with Upsate Exotics. I think this is a great site for newbies to learn more about caring for herps.

I think moving the discussion forums up a bit on the page would be a good thing. Begginers would see For Sale first, then discussion forums. Those of you with a "college level" of interest would know to scroll a little farther down for the in-depth info.

As a matter of fact, I currently have a question I posted in the Boa discussion forum that I'm still waiting for one of you "college level" herpers to answer.

Just my $.02

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 09-08-2003, 05:24 PM   #35
WebSlave
I did a little bit of restructuring and changed the depth of forum levels that are displayed when you go into the Reptiles & Amhibians section.

I suppose some people will like it and others will hate it, though. Of course, if EVERYONE hates it, I'll change it back.

But I moved this thread out of the BOI into the FaunaClassifieds Feedback Forum so I won't hear as much grief about it.

But at least in one screen someone can see that there are a lot more forum sections available.

Old 09-08-2003, 06:35 PM   #36
Stardust
I went to my favorites, got on the usual way clicked and saw something different( kind of when the food stores change the isles on you) so I backed up, and tried again, that is when brain started working and I figured out you had changed it.
I like it, though, perhaps the only suggestion would be red the letters BOI under the section it is in.
Other than that, thought it was good.

Old 09-08-2003, 06:50 PM   #37
WebSlave
Good idea on the highlighting of the BOI. Thanks!

Old 09-08-2003, 09:48 PM   #38
kenalotia
Thumbs up much better!

I just wanted to say I like the format of the front page much better now! I don't have to do so much scrolling just to check whether there are new posts in the forums now. It's much easier to get around now, in my opinion, and looks much neater too.

Old 09-22-2003, 06:44 PM   #39
KodiakWood
Web [Cult Leader] Master I think You should Leave well enough Alone , As a newbie [Hate that word] i think that Ive gotten a better Education here, then any where else ..Ive watched ppl who didnt know how to breed a snake kill their name in less then a year, I found alot of these things out by just reading the posts and in my humble opinion this site is great just the way it is .....thought you would wanna hear it for some body other then you regular ppl......Peace

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!