Cape Hatteras, May 1987 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-12-2022, 12:50 AM   #1
WebSlave
Cape Hatteras, May 1987

I was cleaning up some stuff around the front door the other day, because a Comcast tech was coming in to take a look at a modem problem I have been having. Things kind of got piled up there with everything going on lately. Anyway, I found a bag of some slides. No telling how long they have been there, or why there were there. The slides are dated May, 1987, and I suppose that Connie and I had taken a trip to Cape Hatteras then, along with her friend Liz. Connie looked through the slides with me (there were just 10 of them, and she exclaimed in amazement, as one of the slides was one that she had just been talking about to Liz just a few days ago. She asked if there was any way she could send that picture to Liz, so that gave me an excuse to find the equipment to use with my Nikon D850 camera just for that purpose. That pic (#6) that Connie was talking about is where both her and Liz are standing on a porch (Connie is on the left, Liz on the right in the pic) with a black dog in the foreground. Man, Connie and I had been married just 9 years when that pic was taken 35 years ago.

Anyway, figured what the heck, I'm not doing anything better tonight, so I will just put those pics up here. Can't remember what camera I was using back then, but I think that is when I had my Canon A1 35mm SLR film camera.

This will be in two steps with the attachments.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2022, 12:51 AM   #2
WebSlave
The rest of the pics....
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2022, 02:01 PM   #3
Lucille
Those are beautiful pictures. What a lovely area.

Old 12-20-2022, 02:55 AM   #4
WebSlave
It used to be that anyone could take their vehicles out on the beach and ride for miles along the banks. But now they have some really burdensome permitting you have to go through to get onto the beaches. Not only expensive, but they require you to carry all sorts of equipment in the vehicle as well. And you have to find the place to get the permit, and I guess go through some sort of inspection too. For someone like us just casually passing through for a day or so, it really doesn't make any sense to jump through those hoops. Which I guess is the reason they did that.

So much of formerly public lands are getting "KEEP OFF" signs placed on them and roadways to them chained and gated closed. Each generation is getting more and more restricted in the freedoms that the previous generation took for granted, it seems.

At that time, we had a four wheel drive Ford Bronco. That was back at the time when you could specify every little option you wanted on a new vehicle instead of being limited to large package deals that made you buy things you really didn't want to get what you actually wanted. I got the optional limited slip differentials in both front and rear axles, so that Bronco was pretty capable on the beach. But even then, there were some close calls to getting stuck out there. And you often saw vehicles nearly sunken completely in the sand as a warning that getting stuck out there could be a real serious problem. When the tide comes in and you are stuck, it would not be at all unusual to lose your vehicle to the ocean.

One of these days I really need to digitize my entire photographic 35mm slide library. I have an entire wall stacked with the slide carousels that likely I will never look at again otherwise. Heck, I don't even know if I still have a slide projector around here any longer. I may have taken it to Goodwill at some point.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #5
Lucille
It is sad how public lands have more and more restrictions. But then again, I remember when I was young and my parents would take us to the beach, I do not recall there ever being any sort of littering or misbehavior. Other than taking a few little shells that had been washed up on the beach, we and everyone else left the beach exactly as we had found it. Now, littering and destruction of the environment, broken glass, fights, loud music that others might not appreciate, all seem epidemic.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:50 AM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
It is sad how public lands have more and more restrictions. But then again, I remember when I was young and my parents would take us to the beach, I do not recall there ever being any sort of littering or misbehavior. Other than taking a few little shells that had been washed up on the beach, we and everyone else left the beach exactly as we had found it. Now, littering and destruction of the environment, broken glass, fights, loud music that others might not appreciate, all seem epidemic.
Yeah, it seems that people, as an average, have changed substantially over the decades. And not for the better. Watching the news, it is hard NOT to see how true that is.

Makes you wonder how things will be in the future. I am glad I won't live forever, so that will be a problem I won't have to worry about. The future is going to become something that people will deserve by allowing it to happen.

IMHO, anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!