Bright star to the southwest? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 11-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
WebSlave
Bright star to the southwest?

Anyone else seeing this? It's REALLY bright, whatever it is. Been seeing it for a while now (like a couple of weeks) whenever I am out after dark, and tonight coming back to the house from the other building, I could see this thing shining through the trees very noticeably.

Venus?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
JColt
Yep! Been watching it myself when ever Northeast Ohio has a clear night. Every blue moon

http://www.space.com/23495-venus-pla...explained.html

Old 11-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
E.Shell
Probably Venus, which can be amazing at certain times:
http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essent...saturn-mercury

When you see it in the evenings, it's heading toward us. Morning visibility means it's heading away.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
snowgyre
Yep, it's Venus. If you look at it through binoculars you can see it's crescent shaped (Venus is dimmest on Earth when it is full, because it has to be on the opposite side of the side for it to be full from our perspective).

Mercury is also putting on a good show in pre-dawn hours. Unfortunately, sun diver Comet ISON has appeared to have disintegrated as it passed the sun and isn't giving us a good show anymore. Poopie. Was really hoping to have a naked-eye visible comet this year.

http://www.griffithobs.org/skyreport.html

Old 11-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
WebSlave
Yeah, was a lot of hype about Ison floating around. I find the "doom and gloom" scenarios fascinating, but after a while it gets old from reading about nearly everything causing a catastrophe of one sort or another.

Anyway, I have toyed with the idea of getting a decent telescope, but I keep getting stymied by the simple fact that it would be a waste where I live. I'm right in the middle of the woods, so unless what I was interested in looking at is directly overhead, then it probably wouldn't be visible anyway. Trees would be in the way. So I always scrap the idea as just being silly for my situation.

Probably just as well, as I'm sure I would want to photograph stuff, and that would likely run into even more expense for something I'll shove in a closet after playing with it for a month.

Besides, there are bears running around here at night....

Old 12-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
Magic
Rich,

I'll trade ya a week of life here on a western ranch for a week in Florida! I wanna see some alligators! We have no real light pollution here, and you can see for miles. Plenty of fun stuff to do here! Leave the cows in the pasture alone, though. They ain't the kind you wanna tip.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
teetee
Off thread kinda.I've seen it too! See a lot of other crazy things,as Luke's Air Force Base isn't too far.I must admit,I have real clear skies and like living out of the city,but Florida is great and green.Loved it! Believe me,122+degrees and it really doesn't matter if it is a 'DRY'heat!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!