Why are people still participating in Rattlesnake Roundups? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
p0ink
Why are people still participating in Rattlesnake Roundups?

I just watched a youtube video on rattlesnake roundups, and I am shocked such things are still going on.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with hunting and I'm far from being an animal rights activist, but I still have fundamental issues with thousands of reptiles being rounded up, abused, and killed for entertainment purposes.

I'm shocked there haven't been any legal challenges to these sort of events.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
nocturnal1
I agree. I've been speaking out against rattlesnake roundups since 1998, when I was volunteering with an organization that did educational shows about rattlesnakes. I never could get any of my editorials published...no one seemed to want to hear about the abuse of rattlesnakes. Very sad. I am a resident of the state that has 1 of , if not THE, largest roundup in the country too. I'm definitely in the minority with my love and respect for rattlesnakes here.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
dimperdoo
Weird huh - it's hard to get people to see the beauty of "harmless" reptiles and snakes. The beauty of "hots" is a longshot indeed. But, you would think that abuse is abuse. Some things are just mired in tradition for better or for worse. The sad part is the succeeding generations who get taught these practices.

Of course, some might point to feeding rodents and such to exotic pets too... poor cute little bunnies?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
p0ink
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimperdoo
Of course, some might point to feeding rodents and such to exotic pets too... poor cute little bunnies?
There is a difference with just following the food chain and skinning animals alive for entertainment.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
shrap
Hmmmm... where is PETA at on this one?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Kingetula
IGNORANT people

Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 AM   #7
MiIguanaLvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
Hmmmm... where is PETA at on this one?
Actually the snakes might do better without PETA on their side. With the headlines they have made lately, and with them being so extreme, I would think the rattlesnake plight is better off without them.
What the snakes need is good press, not PETA kind of press.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
MikeCurtin

Old 09-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
p0ink
Seriously...isn't there some herp loving lawyer around these parts who would be interested in filing suit to stop these events?

Could you imagine if they did this sort of thing with any other 'pet'? Not only would there be outrage, but there would be multiple felony charges brought on anyone involved in it.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
MiIguanaLvr
http://www.animalattorney.com/about.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!