Raleigh, NC Show 2/3 Sep 2006 - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:17 PM   #21
joshdhensley
It would be nice to see some real vendors organize a "hard core" herp show, but will it ever happen? I doubt it. It is just a fact that all of the sales and buiseness is internet based now. That is a real shame too. I have always love to wait on a show like it was Christmas and have never left without spending a couple hundred dollars or more. It is really great to see real booths too,not BPs or corns or w/c stuff. I was at your booth too Homegrown and even though I didn't purchase anything from you, it was genuine.(I did mean to get one of your "protected by a tortiose" stickers but got side tracted. I do have the "I brake for snakes" stickers on my car!) For the most part, shows are just that, SHOWS! But they are still exiting for me and alot of others. It's too bad that it is at the vendors expense.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #22
ChadOsborne
A swap meet would be fine with me. There was a monthly swap in Cola SC until about 2000. I would like to do something like that. I wonder if there's enough interest to start one up?

Old 09-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #23
joshdhensley
Homegrown????

Old 09-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #24
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdhensley
Homegrown????

Is that a question

Old 09-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #25
eric adrignola
Its bad enough that they even have the camels and pony's and all the other non reptile stuff, but to have all in the same building in the back of the room w/ the the reptiles seems to be pure greed.>>>>...

It's called capitalism. Greed would be if the promoter had adveritzed the ponys, camel rides, 100 vendors, despite knowing there wouldn't be 10vendors, camel rides and pony's.

Alex's shows are advertized as a reptile & exotic animal show, with camel rides pony rides and a petting zoo. He and Tony started them in Raleigh with that format, and there is no reason to change it. If Alex didnt' book the pony rides and petting zoo, he would lose money. Promoting reptile shows is how Alex makes his money, not his hobby. Calling Alex's business practices GREEDY is purely antagonistic and uncalled for. He puts on the show he advertizes, and there would be a HELL of a lot more people complaining if the "fluff" were dropped, I assure you.

The shows are not ONLY about the vendors being happy. The people must be happy too. You have to have the right balance of happy vendors, AND people, for the show to be successful. Raleigh's been going on, with the same format, for just about 10 years straight. Aside from a self-destructive desire to make LESS money, why would Alex "drop" the petting zoo?

Things like the birds getting loose and crapping (not to mention scaring the hell out of my lizards) are obvious problems, and should be addressed.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 AM   #26
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric adrignola
Its bad enough that they even have the camels and pony's and all the other non reptile stuff, but to have all in the same building in the back of the room w/ the the reptiles seems to be pure greed.>>>>...

It's called capitalism. Greed would be if the promoter had adveritzed the ponys, camel rides, 100 vendors, despite knowing there wouldn't be 10vendors, camel rides and pony's.

Alex's shows are advertized as a reptile & exotic animal show, with camel rides pony rides and a petting zoo. He and Tony started them in Raleigh with that format, and there is no reason to change it. If Alex didnt' book the pony rides and petting zoo, he would lose money. Promoting reptile shows is how Alex makes his money, not his hobby. Calling Alex's business practices GREEDY is purely antagonistic and uncalled for. He puts on the show he advertizes, and there would be a HELL of a lot more people complaining if the "fluff" were dropped, I assure you.

The shows are not ONLY about the vendors being happy. The people must be happy too. You have to have the right balance of happy vendors, AND people, for the show to be successful. Raleigh's been going on, with the same format, for just about 10 years straight. Aside from a self-destructive desire to make LESS money, why would Alex "drop" the petting zoo?

Things like the birds getting loose and crapping (not to mention scaring the hell out of my lizards) are obvious problems, and should be addressed.

First off, I'd like you to point out where I stated that Alex is greedy.
I don't think Alex is greedy at all, I am sure he has to make a certain amount of money at this just like the rest of us.

I'm sure the show has been an exotic show for years, I am just voicing my opinion and thoughts on the N.C. event itself. In the end it will come down to wether or not I want to purchase tables at events that are going to focus more on "other" animals than they do on reptiles.

Quote:
He and Tony started them in Raleigh with that format, and there is no reason to change it.
I disagree with this, if they wish to attract more reptile vender's they would have to consider what is keeping them away.

And I know that I look for input from other vender's on how they do, and what they think of other events. Sometimes thats all I have to go on in making a decision to try out a new event.And thats just what I am doing here, letting people know what I experienced and my thoughts.
You can debate w/ me all day, thats not going to change what I experienced at the show.

I didn't come here to bash him or tell people/vender's to avoid his events.
I will still continue to support Alex's shows when ever I can.
I like the Raleigh venue, I just don't care for the "fluff" of that particular event.
One of the MANY reasons why I quite doing the Tampa event when it was being run by Tony was because of the circus acts and side shows.
When Alex took over the event I tried it again and was very pleased w/ it.
He did away with ALL the "fluff" at that event and it turned out to be a great show. So as long as have enough animals to keep the table full I will continue to vend at the event.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #27
eric adrignola
"Its bad enough that they even have the camels and pony's and all the other non reptile stuff, but to have all in the same building in the back of the room w/ the the reptiles seems to be pure greed"

That sounds like you're talking about Alex, and that his reasons for running the shows as he does is "greed".

It very well might attract more vendors to the Raleigh show (removing the fluff). It will definatly upset many of the people that come to the show for the fluff. Alex had originally intended to gradually phase out the petting zoo and pony rides. He might still do so.

One thing that has not been brought up is the hole the Raleigh show has been in. Alex is still trying to bring the show back to it's old numbers of a few years ago. It got so bad, attendance was WAY down. People were misled, and are now weary. I wouldnt' expect Alex to make any drastic changes until the show is once again well-respected by the local show-goers. It had gotten so bad in past years, I was amazed ANYONE showed up.

Alex might try looking into having the petting zoo and pony rides outside of the main building. That was one nice thing about Dorton Arena - the reptiles were completely separate.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #28
homegrownherps
Quote:
"Its bad enough that they even have the camels and pony's and all the other non reptile stuff, but to have all in the same building in the back of the room w/ the the reptiles seems to be pure greed"

That sounds like you're talking about Alex, and that his reasons for running the shows as he does is "greed".

It very well might attract more vendors to the Raleigh show (removing the fluff). It will definatly upset many of the people that come to the show for the fluff. Alex had originally intended to gradually phase out the petting zoo and pony rides. He might still do so.

One thing that has not been brought up is the hole the Raleigh show has been in. Alex is still trying to bring the show back to it's old numbers of a few years ago. It got so bad, attendance was WAY down. People were misled, and are now weary. I wouldnt' expect Alex to make any drastic changes until the show is once again well-respected by the local show-goers. It had gotten so bad in past years, I was amazed ANYONE showed up.

Alex might try looking into having the petting zoo and pony rides outside of the main building. That was one nice thing about Dorton Arena - the reptiles were completely separate.
Well respected by who ?
The people who expect the fluff, or the people into reptiles.

The vender's that attend now don't seem to have any issues w/ the fluff so I am sure they will continue to attend as long as their making money.

I made money when I was there, but expected to do much better than I did.
So if they attracted a crowd that was more apt to purchase animals rather than pet them, I think it would have been an excellent weekend.

My personal preference is that I would like to see the fluff done away with.
But if they need to keep in order to make the numbers thru the door then thats what they have to do. I just prefer not to vend at those particular events, no matter who the promoter is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!