Word for the day: Coprolite - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #21
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
And that is my question. What sort of "natural means" can do that?
* Sinking into mud.
* Being buried in a sand storm.
* Dropping to ocean/sea floor, going under sediment, with ocean water pushing more sediment onto it over time.
* Excrement that falls on beach, at low tide, then covered, by sediment, at high tide.
* On river bank/bed where water, etc., moves more sediment atop the excrement.
* Ash covering from volcanic eruption.
* Floods that carry mud/sediment, etc., covering/encasing the excrement.
* Falling into/aside a bog.
* Many methods/scenarios can occur.

In all situations, more & more sediment continues to layer, on top, via mother nature (wind, water, eruptions, tornadoes, hurricanes, landslides, etc.).
Those layers building up, over time, adding more & more weight to press down on the buried remains.
With water also seeping into/through sediment (via existing water, rain, etc.).
Weight also, after much time, compresses the sediment enough to turn the sediment into rock.

Quote:
Seriously? It only takes 11,000 years for fossils to form?
It doesn't take that long, really, for a fossil to be made.
In fact, it can take less than 10-11,000 yrs.
'Course, there are some that may take longer.
Depends on type of fossil, the conditions, etc.

That said, natural fossils are not easily made. It truly takes the right conditions to exist or to come together (and luck that something does not damage/destroy the item/organism which is to be fossilized).

Old 06-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #22
motero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptiles 101 View Post
I got my coprolite for a $1 a piece. I thought it would be funny to say to my friend i got you a piece of poop.
Exactly! it took thousands of years and numerous specific acts of nature to make poop, not worthless.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #23
JColt
Sorry but this post is just full of crap......

Old 06-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #24
WebSlave
Just out of curiosity, what is the YOUNGEST fossil known? In other words, the one that took the least amount of KNOWN time to be created.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:10 AM   #25
Reptiles 101
Somthing about bodily waste always brings a smile to my face.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #26
Reptiles 101
From what i was reading it depends on size of the item that is being fossilized and conditions so i dont think theres one in particular that fossilizes faster. My guess would be maybe a leaf.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #27
Pasodama
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what is the YOUNGEST fossil known? In other words, the one that took the least amount of KNOWN time to be created.
Creationists and Evolutionists would argue over that.
I, personally, do not know what the *known* youngest (took the least time to be naturally created) fossil is.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #28
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
Creationists and Evolutionists would argue over that.
I, personally, do not know what the *known* youngest (took the least time to be naturally created) fossil is.
Ah, too bad. That might have helped me get a firmer grasp on how fossils are actually made, beyond just unsubstantiated theories.

So here's another question, then. Has anyone found an "almost a fossil"? Meaning biological material around half way into the process of becoming a full fledged fossil?

Or even more interesting, if it can take less than 11,000 years to create a fossil, are there human remains that have been fossilized?

Old 06-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #29
Reptiles 101
Link to a t rex that had not been fully fossilized. http://www.livescience.com/41537-t-rex-soft-tissue.html

Old 06-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #30
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptiles 101 View Post
Link to a t rex that had not been fully fossilized. http://www.livescience.com/41537-t-rex-soft-tissue.html
Shades of Jurassic Park!! Wonder if they could extract actual DNA and someday clone those beasts? Of course, not sure those animals could even survive on the Earth of today anyway. At least not the larger ones. I've read some interesting accounts about how the large dinosaurs could not even support their own weight in the gravity of the Earth we now know. Provides for some interesting speculation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!