Bock...Bock.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Southern Wolf
Bock...Bock....

welp.... I guess I went and jumped off the deep end. Of course I wouldn't have it any other way.

I bought three different morphs from the TSC. Any idea's on what kind I got. I was told they should be good multi-purpose chickens.... they steered me away from the white ones that were for meat only.

I got 8 total... the gold and yellow ones they called pullets (which they told me were females) and the dark ones they called something else (which they said were not sexed.... so I have a chance at 4 roosters...which would be my luck)

Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
so you went from breeding snake morphs to chicken morphs eh?

the bigger one already showing a little crest is a male, correct? I don't know anything 'bout chickens except they are cute and good eats.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
snowgyre
I can't wait until I have my own property that I can have my own chickens! I've always wanted some. Those chickens look great, good luck with them!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
FosterHerpetological
I got some a couple of years ago just to get some fresh eggs. I bought 4 from an online source as straight run(unsexed), and they all turned out to be males. Made me wonder if it was on purpose. I sure hope that doesn't happen to you.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Lucille
Might have known you'd start a chicken ranch....

Do you have a little chicken coop yet?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Tink
pullets are just young female chickens.. they're not hends cuz they havent layed any eggs... young male chickens are cockerels (then go to hen and rooster)

the ones with the crest are probably the older pullets, which is why they have a little bit of a comb.

good luck trying to figure out what they are.. its really hard when they are young (unless you know what breeds you got) hopefully you got lucky and are getting more hens then roosters, but if you get them unsexed then... the chances of that are slim....

but they are very adorable... personally i think that chickens make awesome pets.. and fresh eggs are pretty yummy

Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Tink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
pullets are just young female chickens.. they're not hends cuz they havent layed any eggs... young male chickens are cockerels (then go to hen and rooster)
oops meant to say hens

Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
so you went from breeding snake morphs to chicken morphs eh?

the bigger one already showing a little crest is a male, correct? I don't know anything 'bout chickens except they are cute and good eats.
And by the time Im done... will probably be breeding rabbits, sheep, and maybe pigs as well. There is a chance that I might be able to get into a small herd of cows as well.

Im still learning bout chickens.... if it's yellow or gold, its supposed to be a female.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
laterob
Be careful, Kevin.....it starts with 8 and ends up like this

The ones that aren't pullets are called 'straight run'. I'll have my wife check your chickens out later....she'll know what they are as she's caught the bug. We started with 7 chickens, which now lay almost every day, so we sell eggs for $3.00/dozen. Then she bought a brooder, so she started raising and selling chickens. Then, she bought an incubator....sigh. We're up to around 30 chickens...it's hard to tell....it goes up and down every day. I've started feeding the roosters to my boas .

Check out www.backyardchickens.com . They have a forum and lots of other crazy chicken people.

Welcome to the world of chickening!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
I can't wait until I have my own property that I can have my own chickens! I've always wanted some. Those chickens look great, good luck with them!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfconstrictors View Post
I got some a couple of years ago just to get some fresh eggs. I bought 4 from an online source as straight run(unsexed), and they all turned out to be males. Made me wonder if it was on purpose. I sure hope that doesn't happen to you.
I should have at least 4 females.... I just dont need 4 males as well (the dark ones).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!