New baby help needed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
KRISSYK
New baby help needed

My fist 2 eggs hatched out on 10/7. The smaller of the 2 has almost finished its first shed (I had to soak it) and the larger one has not shed that I know of. I have tried feeding them extra small meal worms and pin heads, neither has eaten yet. Is this normal or should I start worring that they have not eaten yet? I weighed them about 5 days ago and they were 2 and 3 grams. They are both active (the larger one more so), they also like to rear back and hiss at me and go in for the attack!!

Any advice would be great, I want to get this down pact before my next 2 eggs hatch next month.

Kristina

Old 10-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
USAGECKOS
What is their set up like? Do you have a humid area for them? When you feed them the worms, are you leaving them in the enclosure over night? You may need to seperate them if one is bigger than the other.

Please give us as much info about your setup as possible, especially the temps.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
KRISSYK
They are both in there own shoebox container. They have a water dish and there calcium dish and I mist them daily. I have left the mealies in there for at least 24 hours and they looked at them but that was as far as it went. I then tried the pin heads and put one in each container but they were not interested at all. The temps in the room that they are in is the mid 80's during the day. The older babies I have are in pretty much the same temps and set up and are eating like pigs as well as my adults. How long is it before they usually eat there first meal, or is there something different that may interst them?

Old 10-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
raiquee
What is their hot spot? If it's 80 i keep my hatchlings hot spot at 90.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
dragonflyreptiles
I agree, they need a hot side of 90. And a humid hide a warm dry hide and a cool hide so they will feel safe and have better sheds.

They usually eat the day of the first shed so they should start eating now, but if its not warm enough they way not want to eat. They live off of the yolk for the first few days until they shed. Some will eat right as they start to shed some not until right after.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
Mari
I don't know that I would mist them daily...Leos are from the desert, and as long as they have a humid hide box they should be okay for humidity. Misting them can stress them out, as they do not like getting wet (most of them, at least). I have humid hides that get misted daily, but I never mist the leos themselves...I did so accidentally once before, and all the leos ran for cover...terrified. I would stop the daily misting and just let them settle in...leave mealies in a low dish and provide a humid box and dry box with the hot spot at 90. They should be okay.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
KRISSYK
!!

I am not sure if it was the raised heat or the additional hides with moist moss. But the good (no GREAT news is they are now eating!!) crickets. I am going to try meal worms tonight.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:41 PM   #8
Mari
Great job in getting them to eat. Post pics of them soon!

Old 10-22-2005, 11:16 PM   #9
Shelley1063
Glad to hear they are finally eating, they should have been eating within a week. I just had 2 hatch this past Monday (10/17) and they both shed on Thursday and were eating on Friday. Pretty much what my others have done. If you provide a humid hide on the warm side of 90 degrees they should have their first shed within 3-7 days and eat soon after. I give my hatchlings 1/4" crickets and small superworms, they go nuts over both. I weighed them both today (5 days old) and they were 4 & 5 grams each. Good Luck with your new babies and with the next pair !!

Old 10-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #10
raiquee
Misting them daily is a good thing. I used to not mist my hatchlings, and i had one decline terribly. I didn't know what i was doing wrong! I then misted her, and she drank and drank and drank! Now i mist all my babies, fresh out of egg 2 times a day and over a week old once a day. Gives them water to drink as they usually have not gained the keeness of the water bowl After they are about a month, i stop.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!