Shipping charges - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Kazoo
Shipping charges

Hello all,
Can I ask you what you think about not charging actual shipping? For instance, an auction I recently saw stated the person would not change the shipping price even if it was considerably less because there was no reserve on the auction. Do you think it is ethical to make a substantial profit on shipping?
Thanks for any thoughts!

Old 10-12-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo
Do you think it is ethical to make a substantial profit on shipping?
Ethical? Perhaps not. I might choose not to bid in such an auction depending on what the shipping charge was. But as long as this is spelled out in advance and the buyer is aware of it then it is legitimate. One can simply factor it into one's maximum bid.

As the buyer, I am the one with the money and therefore the power. I can choose not to buy from certain sellers because of their terms.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
I wouldn't consider it unethical really. The seller is being up front about the shipping charges and the buyer has that knowledge prior to bidding. If he's not ok with it he doesn't have to bid.
I've seen many auctions on ebay for say a $25 item priced at $1 plus $25 shipping when it would cost $4.30 for priority mail shipping.
I personally don't bid on such auctions on principle because it annoys me greatly, but the seller is being upfront about it so I can't exactly consider it unethical. It's just a pet peeve of mine and something I wouldn't consider doing on my own auctions. If nothing else it just looks bad on the seller.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
SPJ
I have put up auctions that say shipping in included in any bid once the reserve is met.

I have also put up auctions where the buy it now includes shippings charges.

Out of curiosity what was the shipping price that he wouldn't lower? Lately I have been charged anywhere from $42 - $76 for overnight shipping depending upon what was sent.
I base my buy it now and reserve prices on a flat rate of $45. Is that wrong?

Old 10-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Kate,

Were the actual shipping charges spelled out in the auction? The only thing that sounds odd is the reason for doing it. What does he mean by saying "because there was no reserve on the auction"?

Regards

Old 10-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
SPJ
I am wondering the same thing as Dan.

Is he inflating the shipping charge because the bid was low or does he have a flat rate and will not lower it?

Old 10-12-2005, 08:20 PM   #7
Kazoo
He gave the reason as not lowering the shipping (for someone who was really close that would have cost substantially less) as there being no reserve on the auction. So essentially, to me, that just means he is trying to make an extra buck. If that's the case, then set a reserve, in my opinion, so you CAN charge actual shipping.
I just don't like to pay for extra shipping charges. I know I'd have to pay it anyway if the guy had a reserve and I really wanted his product, but I don't like it under the pretense of "oh well, if it doesn't bring what I want it to, I'll just recoup on shipping charges."
But that's just me

Old 10-17-2005, 06:56 AM   #8
hhmoore
It could just be that this person charges a "flat rate" for shipping (like Steve, and many others). Customers tend to think flat rate is great...as long as it saves them money. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way, and the seller actually makes out. Besides, there are other associated costs (packaging, fees, etc). IF that is the case, I would have no problem with it - but the reason stated would irritate me, too

Old 10-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
Cat_72
One of the first snakes I ever bought online was from an auction, and the man charged approximately the same flat fee as the going rate, $45. Having not bought much online before, I didn't even think to ask beforehand what company he was using, just assumed (duh) that it was UPS or FedEx.

Boy was I TICKED when it not only arrived USPS .....and the actual shipping cost was evident on the label....$17.00.

Now THAT ain't right.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
Milwaukee Reptiles
I have to agree that the problem is not so much that shipping is a flat rate, but that there really was no reason to specify the reasoning behind it. Perhaps he had someone pissed off last time because they didn't live that far and they wanted a refund? Who knows. I guess I wouldn't consider it too big of a deal since he did specify shipping charges in the auction, and not try to hit you with $75 for a USPS shipment after you won the auction.

I charge $45 for every UPS Next Day Air I send out, anywhere in the country. I don't refund shipment if you live one state away, and I typically lose money if I ship to either coast, so It comes out even. I guess my rule is that I shouldn't make money on shipping, but I shouldn't really lose money either.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!