What's new at Petsmart... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
mmfrankford
What's new at Petsmart...

Well it has been a while since I went into a Petsmart, so this may not be that new to anybody else. Anyway I was getting some treats and such for my cat. And I always stop by the reptile display to see what is there. And I was suprised to see snakes! One of the employess came by and I asked her about the snakes. She said thier store was experimenting with selling snakes and so far sales have been mixed. (My thought is because thier prices are high and the snakes naturally hide, so customers see an empty cage.) And suprisingly the cages were set up very nice, well for the snakes anyway. The leopard geckos were still 20 babies to a 2 gallon cage. They had ball pythons, a snow corn snake, some sinoloan milksnakes, a type of kingsnake, kenyan sand boa, and a very pretty albino rosy boa. (unfortunately the price tag was $200.00)

Off Topic here, what is the going price for an albino rosy boa?

Old 10-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
bullfrog100000
I know for at least the last 3 or so years the PetSmarts here (Kansas City) have sold snakes and other reptiles, amphibians, oh, and spiders.
Yeah, prices are high, some of the lizards are likely wild caught. And they ALWAYS seem to have a problem with taking care of the Uromastyx they get. Always skinny looking and sick. Of course these stores can't regulate temps/humidity worth a crap.
One thing I really don't like is that they can't tell you if an animal is male or female... and they won't let you do it either. Same with Petco.
We have found most of the people in the reptile dept. don't really know crap, like when an animal is dead, not just sleeping. They recommend products that people here say to never to use. One of them is just particulary bad. Another is ok and I think one employee actually keeps herps at home.
Just my 2 cents...

Old 10-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
reddog4063
A friend of mine bought a ball python two months ago from a local petsmart. It's his first snake and I examined it and it seems fine. Hasn't refused a meal, its first shed was good and it's vent and eyes are clean and clear. He paid $60 so I would say he got himself a decent deal. Unsure whether its male or female but he doesn't care at all, hes not interested in breeding and both sexes stay small enough for him to be alright with.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
reptiler ron
If they keep 20 leopard geckos in a 2 gallon tank it wont take long before they start missing tales as when you have that many together they will bite any thing that moves when you feed them.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Nagini
I used to work at petsmart, and I wouldnt reccomend anything from them. I started working there when ours first opened as they're dog trainer, and I tried to tell them proper food and care for all they're animals, they cant listen, they are required to do as petsmart instructs them or they could get fired, even if it means the animal will die. Its sad. We got a uro in and I told them what it needed. Nope, they put it in the new arrival room since there wasnt room in the cages, without heat, with food at least but needless to say it died. when reptiles got sick, they got put in the sick room and died every time since no one knew what to do dispite petsmart having a vet, banfield, look over them and sometimes give them meds.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagini
We got a uro in and I told them what it needed. Nope, they put it in the new arrival room since there wasnt room in the cages, without heat, with food at least but needless to say it died. when reptiles got sick, they got put in the sick room and died every time since no one knew what to do dispite petsmart having a vet, banfield, look over them and sometimes give them meds.

Banfield does NOT treat reptiles even though they claim they will see exotics. Their idea of exotics tends to be little things like hamsters and ferrets. Reptiles are not worthy enough to be treatable by their vets.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #7
Drache613
Hello

Hello,
I totally agree. It is so frustrating!! I saw a uro the other day & really would like to get him before he dies, because he most likely will!
That is why I don't go through the reptile section very often because I just can't.
Petstores in general, should not be allowed to carry reptiles if they are not going to properly care for them. Maybe standards will be set one day.

Tracie

Old 10-31-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
Rattlesnake
I also have noticed the reptiles at my local pets mart, and they have had one tiny, shy little milk snake there for about 9 mths now and the price tag is $90.00, when I saw the price I thought No wonder you can't sell that Snake. but chose not to say anything, also there is inevitably many lizard and gecko neonates stuffed into a tiny 10 gallon, they might even be 7 gals.
Also, their canned pet food is more expensive than almost any big grocery store is that carries it. Check it out.
I wrote to them mentioning this, but they have not replied yet.
Can't recall if they were still using calcified sand grains on the bottom of the lizards and amphibians, I will look closer the next time I am there.
Grade for Pets Mart so far = D.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Most still use the calcisand for the substrates. There are a few that use the felt looking substrate which is much better. They claim that they use sand because it "looks" better, regardless of what is better for the animal.
I will be very surprised if you get a reply from them, honestly.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!