Exo Terra Repair? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
kkreptiles
Exo Terra Repair?

I'm not sure where this thread would go but I just bought an Exo Terra from someone and got it home and was cleaning it. When I lifted it out of the tub the top right front corner came loose (she failed to tell me anything was wrong with it) and lifted and the door fell out and broke in three pieces. We could put it back together but a few smaller pieces broke off that are unrepairable too. Plus that'd put our cresteds in risk of hurting themselves...

I saw a thread on another forum while searching google bout a guy who replaced both doors on the exo terra cause one was broken. He didn't have a how to though on how he did it so I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions on what we can do to fix this problem? I can really use it as I've got two juvie girls in a 16g and would like to move them to this as well as one of my adult girls into our other one.

Either that, or does anyone know of a cheap store (either world wide known or local to us (orange county CA) that we can go to that can get another door fit into it?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
defcon222
A picture would help to confirm what I'm thinking.

I know Lowe's hardware stores will cut glass, so you could get the dimensions and buy a new piece and fit it that way. I'm not sure about any mounting hardware though. It's hard to tell from the pictures I found online what the different peices are.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
kkreptiles
Alright I'll go ahead and get a pic later today then
I didn't know Lowes did that! Do you know bout their rates on it? (Like under $50 or above?)
Thank you!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
defcon222
When I got my peices cut for my homemade cages, it was 'free' with the purchase of the glass. It may be different at different stores, but I'm pretty sure its more of a convienence (unless you have something like 5+ peices to cut).

worst case for hardware: get some small hinges and use some epoxy that will stick to glass and you should be able to mount them that way --or-- fix the new piece in place and only have one door that will open.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
kkreptiles
That's an option. Didn't think bout that

The Lowes idea doesn't sound too bad either though. Its just one of the doors that fell off. I just need /one/ door replaced so one sheet of glass really and relatively small Hopefully it won't cost that much but i can probably ask for a quote or something from them

Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
ento890
Also, instead of glass, you could always use mesh screen. The top of one of my Exo's screen came out, I just replaced it and hot glued the screen back in place. I'm sure this will work for the doors as well.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
kkreptiles
The only problem with the screen as a door would be trying to piece it together... I know what supplies to get and such since I watched my uncle divide a 20g I had and make doors for it but its such a pain to do IMO =/

Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
oo3menace
Go to lowes or homedepot and buy glass and have them cut it. The only problem is that because these are german or w/e the glass thickness is different over here so it was a pain to get into the door frame but it worked none-the-less. Then just use an epoxy/sealant to lock in the glass to the door frame. I've had it like that for well over 2 years and no issues.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
kkreptiles
I forgot to take thickness into account =/
Do you think possibly taking the other door to them to compare thickness and measurements would be easier? If not then I guess I'll have to suffer through the pain

Thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!