Boots on the Ground Ohio/ SB310 Opponents Hearing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
EricWI
Boots on the Ground Ohio/ SB310 Opponents Hearing

A proponents hearing was held yesterday in Columbus, Ohio in the Senate Agriculture, Environment & Natural Resources Committee regardingSB 310. This bill if passed as written would be a de-facto ban on many reptiles as well as many other animals in Ohio. USARK opposes a ban on ANY reptiles. There is no argument that can logicallysupport that reptiles pose any significant public safety risk to the citizens of Ohio or anywhere else. Turn out for the proponents meeting was anemic. One HSUS representative and one ASPCArepresentative testified; along with reps from several Zoo’s.

The time to act is NOW! We must get “Boots on the Ground”! Call in sick towork if you have to! We must generate Calls! We must generate Emails! DO IT NOW!!!

It is imperative that opponents of SB 310 attend the opponents hearing next week in largenumbers. The hearing is tentatively set for Tuesday March 27 at 2pm in the Senate Building. The date could change. We will update on Friday. USARK is helping to facilitate a groundswell grassroots “Boots on the Ground” campaign to get as many Ohio stakeholders to attend the hearing as possible. Please email ohioarlupdate@gmail.com for instructions on where to meet for briefing prior to hearing. AndrewWyatt of USARK will testify. “NO SB310” pins will be distributed to all who attend. This is very important that the Reptile Nation attend this Hearing in Force.

Meanwhile, in the lead up to the Hearing, we need to generate an avalanche of PhoneCalls and Emails. Below are the tools and the contacts you will need to make your voice heard.

Call In Campaign:

Senator Cliff Hite (Chairman)- Phone: (614) 466-8150

Senator Tim Schaffer (Vice Chair)- Phone: (614) 466-5838

Senator Lou Gentile- Phone: (614) 466-6508

Senator Troy Balderson (Sponsor)- Phone: (614) 466-8076

Senator Dave Burke- Phone: (614) 466-8049

Senator Capri Cafaro- Phone: (614) 466-7182

Senator Gayle Manning- Phone: (614) 644-7613

Senator Bob Peterson- Phone: (614) 466-8156

Senator Joe Schiavoni- Phone: (614) 466-8285

Sample script: (Make it your own and tell your story. Keep it brief and polite)

My name is_________. I am an Ohio resident and I would like to respectfully register myopposition to SB 310. I have grave concerns for the negative and unnecessary impact of SB 310. I work with reptiles that pose zero public safety risk and a minimal occupational risk in the state ofOhio; especially when taken in the context of traditional livestock and pets. On average there is less than one death per year in the US because of a captive reptile, compared to 25-30 deaths relatedto dogs, and dozens more due to horses and cattle. It is simply impossible to make a logical argument that ANY reptile poses a serious public safety risk in our state. Reptiles were not even involvedin the situation in Zanesville.

SB 310 is over reaching and prohibitive, and will have a negative impact on me and my family.The trade in high quality captive reptiles in the state of Ohio is approximately $30 million per year. There are tens of thousands of people and hundreds of thousands of animals involved. Morethan 90% of the impact of SB 310 is to the reptile industry; and again, reptiles were not involved with Zanesville and pose virtually zero public safety risk.

Please remove ALL reptiles from SB 310. NO on SB 310.

Thank you.

Email Campaign:

Click here to send email to Senate Committee: http://usark.org/campaign.php?id=37

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!