Albino burmese weird skin issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
yourbeat
Albino burmese weird skin issues

i rescued a big albino burm rom a lady who kept in in a 30 gallon breeder with a 40 watt bulb, horrible conditions. but the weird thing about him is his skin its like dry patchy and wrikley in some spots, has anyone ever seen anything like this before? im hoping with food and water and some good sheds it will get better in the future. any help would be great.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
yourbeat
pictures will not upload right now ill get them on here in a few mins
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
looks like that snake has either had some serious burns or rat bites in the past, looks like healed scarring

Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
stolenheron
they look like healed burns to me.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
reticguy76
i agree, looks like some serious scarring and also, some wrinkley scales from being kept coiled up all the time in a 30 gallon. shame, quite a shame

Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
yourbeat
the person i got him from said it was from him always having dry bad sheds...he was veryyy grumpy when i first went and picked him up and for god reason, hes an 8ft+ snae in a 30 gallon tank. i brought him home and hes now in a 6x2x18 melamine cage, he seems to have a decent amount of room in the cage, but i wish it was wider. but now that hes been here with correct heat/humidity day and night cycles and good feedings i dont even get a hiss out of him when i pull him out. so the general idea here is that they are scars from either burns or rat bites. so there not going anywhere. im still hoping it wont be so wrinkley and dry after hes hydrated fat and gets so good sheds under his belt

Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
reticguy76
he looks dry, but with improved micro-conditions, he will turn around. these animals are very very forgiving. i would assume that the previous owner fed or at least at one time fed live prey and was too cold to want to eat and got chewed up. i dont picture a 40 watt heat light bulb doing too bad of damage and burns, unless he had gotten out at some times and found a much hotter source around somewhere. you may want to soak him in a rubbermaid tub for the good part of the day. they get most of their hydration from absorbing water through their cloaca (and of course their prey and when they drink)

Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
yourbeat
iv soaked him quite a few times already since having him and he has a litter box with water in his cage as well to soak and help with humidity....with al the marks on him im sure shedding is going to be a handfull. and when i pulled him out from under the 40 watt bulb he was ice cold the bulb did nothing for him. at least hes got everything he needs now he wont be goin anywhere.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
reticguy76
thats all you can do. provide him the proper environment and nutrition and such. the rest is up to him and his system, and hopefully he isnt too far gone to recover properly. but, as i said, they are very forgiving and strong animals.

does he take frozent thawed prey ??

Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
reticguy76
and how did you come across him ??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!