Help with morph selection? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
katrinwoody
Question Help with morph selection?

Hey everyone,

I need some help. I've been looking at images and descriptions of rosy boa morphs for a few weeks now, but there's so many that I feel slightly overwhelmed. My story is that I'd like to surprise a good friend of mine with a rosy boa, but he wants either a pinkish one or a bluish one. I've seen lots of bluish ones, but not so much pink. He doesn't like dark brown/black or orange striping, but if I find one that is pretty, he's getting it hehe. If you all would be willing to share with me your favorite morphs and give me some advice, I'd appreciate it greatly! (Ones that won't break my wallet would help too )

Cheers,
Kathryn

Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
pequeno
The best idea would be to have your friend that wants the rosy with you when you purchase it. It sounds like he is looking for a specific snake and if you surprise him with one and it is not exactly what he wants or is looking for,what will end up happening to the snake. Please make a responsible decision for the snake.
Marc x

Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
katrinwoody
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequeno View Post
The best idea would be to have your friend that wants the rosy with you when you purchase it. It sounds like he is looking for a specific snake and if you surprise him with one and it is not exactly what he wants or is looking for,what will end up happening to the snake. Please make a responsible decision for the snake.
Marc x
I plan on getting his input during the purchasing process. He currently owns 4 snakes (jungle carpet, corn, spotted python, and eastern chain king snake) and a pancake tortoise and takes wonderful care of them. He'll be happy with any rosy, but I've been trying to gather his likes/dislikes to get him an awesome one. No matter what snake I get, it will be loved and looked after.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
pequeno
proper husbandry

I am glad to hear that, I own and have owned and produced many rosys over the years and have grown very fond of them (even a little protective).
And I know that they can be quite finicky and difficult to keep sometimes, but with the proper conditions and care and a permanent home I think you guys are making a very good choice.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Amelanistic Orca
Some Rosy keepers are hilarious... Look into the Anerytheristic phase of Rosy's... They start out kinda normal, but real trick blue/grays when adults! Definitely spectacular!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
jdustin
There are a wide variety of rosy morphs out there. There are several different bluish anery/axanthic genes that are bred commonly.
1. Borrego Anery- These start off looking very similar to normal rosy boas, but typically have solid black eyes. As they mature, the red tones in their skin diminish, and they are left a nice blue color.
2. Limburg Anery- These are born a nice blue/grey, and stay that way throughout their lives. They have been crossed with Limburg Albinos to create the Limburg snow, which is left with basically no color and red eyes. This would indicate that the gene removes both yellow and red. Most would call this axanthic rather than anery, but Randy Limburg calls it an anery so most breeders follow suit
3. Morongo Axanthic- These are a nice blue/grey color from birth as well. They have been crossed with the WhiteWater albino and produce pure white snows (known as "snow whites") with black eyes, indicating that they are in fact an axanthic.
4. Pioneer town anery- These are born a nice blue color, but have blue eyes. As of yet, no one has produced a snow as far as I've heard.

For pictures of all of these, and many more, check out my website. We have over 700 pictures of rosys, covering pretty much the entirety of their range http://www.borderboas.com/localityro...phs/index.html

Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
katrinwoody
Thanks for the help, your site was extremely helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdustin View Post
There are a wide variety of rosy morphs out there. There are several different bluish anery/axanthic genes that are bred commonly.
1. Borrego Anery- These start off looking very similar to normal rosy boas, but typically have solid black eyes. As they mature, the red tones in their skin diminish, and they are left a nice blue color.
2. Limburg Anery- These are born a nice blue/grey, and stay that way throughout their lives. They have been crossed with Limburg Albinos to create the Limburg snow, which is left with basically no color and red eyes. This would indicate that the gene removes both yellow and red. Most would call this axanthic rather than anery, but Randy Limburg calls it an anery so most breeders follow suit
3. Morongo Axanthic- These are a nice blue/grey color from birth as well. They have been crossed with the WhiteWater albino and produce pure white snows (known as "snow whites") with black eyes, indicating that they are in fact an axanthic.
4. Pioneer town anery- These are born a nice blue color, but have blue eyes. As of yet, no one has produced a snow as far as I've heard.

For pictures of all of these, and many more, check out my website. We have over 700 pictures of rosys, covering pretty much the entirety of their range http://www.borderboas.com/localityro...phs/index.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
morph, morphs, rosy boa