Iguana skin issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-27-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
bbburdie
Iguana skin issues

Hi All,

I am new to this forum but not new to keeping iguanas. I have one 16 year old iguana and 2 babies. One of my babies has something that looks rather like a wart on the joint of one of his toes and another on his chest. I know that my older iguana had one of these that looked almost identical on her foot quite some time ago and it fell off when she shed. Does anyone know what these little spots might be? My igs get the best of care, I'm no newbie......provided with a MegaRay Zoo mercury vapor flood lamp and outdoors real rays when it is nice out.......large varied diet of top nutrient greens like mustards, collards, dandilions....then add carrots, green beans, squashes, peppers, corn, snow peas, etc...........each day they get greens plus at least 4 other veggies in the mix, all topped with a small amount of vitamin mix. Anyone who knows what they might be or if these types of skin issues are common with igs(I realize this is only an approximate since we are just going by my description)? I honestly don't think it's anything serious as it never affected my older ig in a negative way and in fact, it was on the bottom of her foot and I didn't even realize it was there until she was shedding and her skin came off.......warty looking thing and all. Thanks! Deb.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Junkyard
Seems like it could be a bacterial infection like blister disease, which would mean antibiotics would aid to treat the problem, but since I do not know for sure, it is best to see a vet and have it checked out.

Here is a link to iguana care that has some information on what may be the problem:

http://www.ahc.umn.edu/rar/MNAALAS/Iguana.html

Old 09-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
bbburdie
Thanks for that link, it looks like a good source for info. I really don't think that what my ig has is blisters though, they are more like warts and he had one when I got him and now he has another. He is in immaculate living conditions with excellent care. His cage is scrubbed daily and the other ig in with him has no signs of any of these wart-like things. I am new in town here and guess I need to hunt up a vet for my guys and get them in for check-ups. Argh, I hate looking for a new vet but Michigan is a looong way from Kentucky so I guess I gotta. Thanks again for that link........I'll definitely bookmark that one for future reference.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
jjobson
My iguana is just a baby and tends to shed a lot at the moment. After his last shed, these wart type things appeared on him as well. He seems to shed every couple weeks so I will see what happens after his next. I don't have a reptile vet around at all. The closest vet is 3 hours away and he knows nothing of iguanas, so he said he would have no idea what he is looking at. I have done a lot of research on caring for iguanas but have never come across anything like that. I give him appropiate care, living conditions and lighting, so I am not sure why these warts showed up. If anyone knows or finds anything on them, can you let me know?
Thank you.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
bbburdie
I have been busy getting ready to move at the end of the month and so I have been unable to get my guys in for a checkup as yet and I still don't even know if there is anyone who does reptiles in the area or not. I live near UK and I know they have a vet program so with any luck I'll find one. The warts do not seem like anything other than warts...no other symptoms so I'm not too concerned but definitely will have them checked when I get them in for health checks. I've done a lot of research on igs and care of them also and I've not found anything like this mentioned anywhere either. My older ig is about 16 and the one she had never adversely affected her health...I'm assuming they are just what they look like....warts, but we'll see what the vet says....maybe in November I'll be able to get them in. If you find anything before then, please let me know. Thanks......Deb.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!