17" flexwatt? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
CricketFarmer
17" flexwatt?

Anyone use this stuff yet? I've purchased a lot of it and it does not work like the older stuff. Much cooler, actually, does not work at all. I am getting a less than 10ºF difference.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
hhmoore
It isn't supposed to get as hot as the "older stuff" - that's the whole point. I'm not using 17", but I have 2 stacks of cages heated with 21", and I'm happy with it. It has some limitations, in that it doesn't get hot; so maintaining temperatures in a cold room (or the bottom cage in a stack) is sometimes more difficult...but overall, I wish I had made the switch sooner. If you need higher temperatures due to enclosure material, or cool room temps, a different heat source - or higher wattage tape - might be better suited to your requirements...nobody ever said that heat tape was always the best option (okay, somebody probably did, but people shouldn't have listened)
The hottest I have seen my 21" tape - unregulated - was 90 degrees.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
ReptileJay
Did you double check your wiring? I cannot imagine that if it's only raising the temp by 10F, that it's working correctly... the main problem I can think that would cause that would be a bad connection...

Old 03-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
hhmoore
Usually, it either works, or it doesn't...if it is warming up, its working. 17" is a low wattage heat tape, and is specifically designed not to reach the high temperatures of the more well known sizes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!