Question about cycling multiple males - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
jtipton
Question about cycling multiple males

I know a lot of breeders cycle multiple males with their females for breeding. My question is can multiple males sire the same clutch or does only 1 of the males take and sire all the babies?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Kingofspades
Multiple males can sire a clutch.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Helenthereef
I know this was a ball python questions, but do you know if this is also true for live bearing snakes such as boas?

Old 09-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
jtipton
Thanks

Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
gsrept
I know it can be fun to do whos your daddy clutch but can also be a pain I did a few this past season and I would rather know what the father was then playing the guesing game at least you know what your possibly going to get.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I know this was a ball python questions, but do you know if this is also true for live bearing snakes such as boas?
My understanding is yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrept View Post
I know it can be fun to do whos your daddy clutch but can also be a pain I did a few this past season and I would rather know what the father was then playing the guesing game at least you know what your possibly going to get.
Agreed. My pairings are more geared toward my own goals, rather than simply production; so using multiple males seems counter productive...the exception being that I will use two males of the same morph/combination (in some cases, and if available) to maximize the chances of getting the job done.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
jtipton
My pairings are more toward my own goals as well. I think that I'll have about 4 females ready to breed this year and about 5 males that I would like some combos off of and I can't really decide which ones to go for first. That is why I was wondering. I have a specific male for 2 of the females but the other 2 are a toss up. So I was thinking of maybe rotating 2 males between each female and see what odds I hit, knowing my luck I will miss all the odds and wind up with 2 clutches of all normals. It was just a question running through my mind, but perhaps Craig and Harald are right. I really don't have enough experience to possibly determine the right morph if both males take. Thanks for the responses.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Kingofspades
I breed for my own goals as well, but sometimes I am limited with females.
Last season I wanted to shoot for pastel yellowbellies and fireflies, so both pastels were put with both females.
Turns out the fire did the job on both, but I would have been just as happy with pastel yellowbellies.
Worked out.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
Kingofspades
And like this season I want to shoot for Pewter mojaves AND BELs but I only have one mojave female, so she will breed to my pewter and het russo. If I get one or the other...I am happy. If I get BOTH...bonus.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
jtipton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofspades View Post
If I get one or the other...I am happy. If I get BOTH...bonus.
That was my thoughts on the matter exactly. But I don't know yet, something to think about.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!