natural stomach flora? or protozoans - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-01-2003, 01:05 AM   #1
anticonformist
Unhappy natural stomach flora? or protozoans

i was board today and decided to take a look at my sisters bearded dragons feces under my scope today and noticed many small microrganizums moving about and i was wondering if this is a parasite or natural bacteria that helps digest food.

the stool i collected the sample from was very fresh and of healthy consistansy but did not have any urates that passed with it.

well i quess what i am wanting to know is. Are the natural bacterium that noticable or is there a good load of protaza in my sis's beardie? any and all help is greatly appriciated.

thanks for your time,

david

Old 05-01-2003, 01:16 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Positive identification of what you were seeing would of course have to be done by a vetrinarian.
It's possible it may be organisms that are normally found in the gut, but large numbers of anything can signify a problem.
There are also certain things like coccidia for example, that are a very common parasite in beardies and need to be treated.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a stool sample checked by a good vet, just to be sure. It may be nothing to worry about, but you may also be catching a potential problem before it becomes serious.

Old 05-01-2003, 01:22 AM   #3
Seamus Haley
This reminds me of a fairly reccent conversation I had with someone about people doing basic fecal smears in their own home... it's pretty easy to do the smear itself, nothing to it really... the hard part is figuring out what you're looking at.

Most vets will run a sample for a fairly small fee, it's usually under $20, if that... depends on the vet of course.

Old 05-01-2003, 01:43 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
It's worth mentioning that many vets are willing to show you what you're looking at. My vet takes me back to the microscope and identifies the various things he sees under it.
I don't have need to have enough of them done though to really learn anything. I suppose that's good depending on your perspective.
It would be nice though to be able to make a preliminary diagnosis, even if you still rely on the vet for confirmation before medicating.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!