Coccidia!? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
rstymtlhd
Question Coccidia!?

can anyone tell me an easier way to treat this than with a stomach tube? My girl is 10 ft and is about 50lbs. and she does NOT want to cooperate, she is still eating and fairly active, i just noticed her losing some weight so off to the vet we went,{its almost breeding time for her} and thats what came back from her fecal exam.My vet says the only way he knows to treat it is with a stomach tube,{so she cant spit it out} daily for 7-10 day's. {the tube is for the med's}. does anybody know of another treatment? Please help!!!??
Thanks,
Kris

Old 03-25-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
If she is eating frozen/thawed the solution is fairly simple. You can buy a bag of (there are several sizes) empty gelatin casules (the size will depend on the amount of medicine to be administered) from you vet. Fill the gelatin capsules with the right amount of the medicine (I'm assuming it's a sulfa-based product). If it's powder is better than liquid as the gelatin capsules tend to dissolve in water (not immediately, but relatively fast). With a pair of sharp scissors cut open a small hole in the abdomen of the dead rat. Introduce the gelating capsule as deep as possible in it, apply pressure to the opening to close it, and feed it to her.

Regards.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
coyote
This method isn't going to effectively address the dosage requierments. The med has to be given daily for a series of 7 to 10 days. Encapsulating the med inside the body of a rat is going to retard the DAILY availability. And, can you feed the snake a rat every day for the entire duration of the treatment?

Old 08-23-2005, 05:35 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
Quote:
This method isn't going to effectively address the dosage requierments. The med has to be given daily for a series of 7 to 10 days. Encapsulating the med inside the body of a rat is going to retard the DAILY availability. And, can you feed the snake a rat every day for the entire duration of the treatment?
This method is been used in several species. A gelatin capsule inserted under the skin of a small (weanling rat) will be dissolved almost instantaneously. The fact is that you have to be carefully not to moisten with water as they will start dissolving right way. I have used it in the past with reluctant feeders filling the gelatin capsule with puppy pellets. It’s far better and easier than force feeding a mouse, and as it is almost all dry matter it provides more nutrients by weight. Feeding a weanling rat (or an adult mice for that matter) daily and for 10 days will not a problem for such a large snake, in fact she will probably still be hungry after the whole treatment. Believe me, it works.

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!