Fruit trees - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 06-29-2022, 11:34 PM   #1
WebSlave
Fruit trees

We have been getting a good amount of rain here, even through May, which is typically pretty dry in this area.

Rain has been good for the fruit trees. In fact, TOO good in one case. One of the asian pear trees is so loaded with fruit that branches are snapping off from the weight. I know I should go out there and prune off some of the fruits to take off some weight, but I just don't have the energy to be climbing up and down a ladder doing that. I guess if all the branches snap off, that will just have to be the way it is this year. It will either grow back more branches, or it won't.

I swear, you just can't win...

Old 06-30-2022, 12:27 AM   #2
WebSlave
Just happened to have a video clip off of one of the cameras I have monitoring the tree to see if varmints are climbing up into it causing those branches to snap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_BOFljJw3A

Old 06-30-2022, 07:40 AM   #3
bcr229
Perhaps a neighbor would be interested in exchanging labor for fruit?

Old 06-30-2022, 11:04 PM   #4
WebSlave
That sounds good in theory, but the way my luck has been running lately, the neighbor would likely fall out of the tree, then sue me for injuries.

Old 07-01-2022, 05:37 AM   #5
Lucille
There are long handled tree saws/loppers both manual and gas powered, Asian pear trees are generally on the small side, so you could at least prune off some of the lower branches.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:20 AM   #6
WebSlave
That would be fine, except that I don't want to prune off branches, I need to prune some of the fruits that are overloading the branches.

I probably just need to bite the bullet and get out there and do it myself.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:45 AM   #7
Lucille
You can prune off fruit probably easier than branches with the kind that has the cutting action as opposed to the sawing action.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #8
Lucille
Some people choose to sell homes and property when they reach an age where maintenance is more than they want to or can accomplish. Others choose to 'age in place' and make changes in how they do things, or hire help, or find other ways so that the necessary chores are done. It may be that buying garden equipment now and getting used to using it may come in handy when you really can't get up on a ladder any more.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:42 AM   #9
WebSlave
Heck, I likely have nearly every garden tool (as well as every other kind of tool) ever made by man here. And I certainly know how to use them. I am rather surprised that you would think I was deficient in that area.

It is the extenuating circumstances at play right now that is the issue.

The issue is ME going out there in the Florida heat and humidity and having Connie worried to death I was going to have another heart attack pruning those fruits off of the tree. She has enough to worry about, and doesn't need me adding to that. Not to mention that I am not exactly running on all cylinders as it is.

Old 07-03-2022, 05:17 PM   #10
JColt
I know what you're saying Rich. I cut lawn this morning and 7 hours later I'm still feeling it. Even took a nap and I could go to sleep right now.

I bought the ryobi battery pole saw a couple years ago. Telescopes from 6.5 feet to 9.5 feet. Thing is much lighter than gas one and much faster and easier than manual one. I had an old neighbor plant rose of sharon and that stuff is like a weed. Grows everywhere. I use the pruner to cut it down between fences. It also does some decent sized branches as I used it on a berry tree that overhangs my yard. A fully charged 4 ah battery lasts 3 hours of hard work.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!