AOL's spyware protection - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 09-03-2004, 02:52 AM   #1
TooManyBurmese
AOL's spyware protection

Does anyone else use AOL's spyware protection? Is it any good?

Old 09-03-2004, 09:03 AM   #2
Seamus Haley
AOL just repackaged the McAfee upgrades they've had avaliable forever. The program is solid, works well and has regular updates and will take care of most viruses, trojans and spyware/adware if it's run regularly. It's probably not THE best protection you can get but it's not terrible although I think AOL now charges people choosing to use it on a monthly basis. I've had my registration number forever and it still allows me to update, I haven't paid for it. Ever. Not sure how much they want to tack on a month but a couple bucks would probably be worth it... any more than that and you'd be much better off just buying your own antivirus software.

I do find it annoying when it chooses to update though, the AOL version has much simpler controls than the full version of the program and some options are missing... Like the one where it checks for updates only when prompted as opposed to at scheduled times. The AOL version I use starts itself every three days, checks for and installs updates and then restarts the computer. Which is rather annoying if I happen to be in the middle of something when it does so. It can be cancelled temporarily using the close program dialogue box but then rechecks every few hours because it's off it's schedule.

It has stopped me from playing hardcore characters on Diablo (from an old thread I know at least one or two other Fauna members have some love for this seven year old computer game classic and get the problem with software that interrupts play).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!