By Far the Coolest Thing I've Ever Kept! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Pythonbreeder99
Talking By Far the Coolest Thing I've Ever Kept!

I got this guy at the White Plains show, he was the only one there and I saw him and just had to have him. He is a Javan File Snake AKA Elephant Trunk Snake AKA Javan Wart Snake. There aren't too many of them in captivity as far as I know and this is only the second one I've ever seen! I snapped a few pictures of him and tried to get some of his awesome fully aquatic features like the close-able nostrils and full forked tongue he also has an almost complete lack of ventral scales and is quite immobile on land. This is only a temporary enclosure I am working on piecing together a proper tank he should be in it by next week. I am now totally in love with this species and have put all my python projects on hold to try to find more of these
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
Be sure to look up all necessary water parameters, these guys actually are pretty sensitive. Hope it does well for you, did it eat, yet? They did say it was eating, but you never know until you see it for yourself!

http://www.acrochordus.com/jcaresheet.htm If you have not come across it yet.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Pythonbreeder99
Yes he has eaten! I put 5 goldfish in there on Sunday and there are 2 today so unless they walked away I think he ate them! I did all the research I could on them (all three websites that mention them) and a lot of them have conflicting ways to keep them but I am setting up the basics of all the sites I've looked at so he should be all set!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
AbsoluteApril
really neat! Good luck and hope you'll share more pics!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Pythonbreeder99
Thanks April! I'm really excited about this guy/girl I'm praying its a boy! I have a vet appt on Friday to find out!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Very cool to see something new (to me anyway). I presume it's freshwater? Venomous at all? Very interested to see more pics and hear more about him.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
Pythonbreeder99
No venom (one of few aquatics without it) and they can live in fresh or brackish water but stop drinking in high salinity so I doubt they would be able to live in salt water. They are very very interesting and this site has possibly the most information out there on it so it's worth a read if your interested http://www.acrochordus.com/javanicus.htm

Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
Stephen917
I am jealous! That is a very cool animal man! I want one soooo bad

Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
IMAJACOBIAN
They are very cool indeed. I have also had a desire to work with them, but I can't have them all. I typically stay away from anything in water. Too much work when you have a fairly large collection to maintain.

They would be interesting to get a breeding program going.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Pythonbreeder99
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAJACOBIAN View Post
They are very cool indeed. I have also had a desire to work with them, but I can't have them all. I typically stay away from anything in water. Too much work when you have a fairly large collection to maintain.

They would be interesting to get a breeding program going.
I would LOVE to breed them, I now have my eye on a $650 300g aquarium which would be big enough to house the 8+ feet of female and the 5+ feet of male plus some babies! But right now thats still a dream. I am getting a 75g aquarium tomorrow to house him/her as a permanent home. At least until I find he or she a boyfriend or girlfriend! I am so scared to pop it, it has almost no muscle mass since it doesn't need any, I don't wanna break the little guy! So hopefully the vet will be able to tell me tomorrow!