Dropping Incubator Temp - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
Rick007
Dropping Incubator Temp

This may sound stupid, but has anybody ever dropped the temperature in the incubator. I have 2 incubators going, male and female. I have 2 eggs left in the male incubator (almost ready to hatch), but the female one is full. I need room for some more beardie eggs and was wondering if moving the male eggs to the female incubator would cause problems. I don't think I should do this but thought I would ask anyways.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
KelliH
I don't recommend it, especially since the babies are due to hatch soon.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
Tang
listen to kelli, shes one of the most experienced leo breeders out there. temp changes during incubation often cause deformities in the hatchlings if they hatch at all

Old 04-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Th3HiddenGecko
I had posted not to long ago about raising the temps. Everyone was saying not to do it because there would be too many risks. I'm guessing the same goes for dropping it also.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
geckonate
Tremper says that after the two week sexing period, raising the temps to 90 for the duration of your eggs will yield brighter colored albinos. Check out his site.

Anyone actually try this? If so, could you post your results?

Old 04-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
Th3HiddenGecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckonate
Tremper says that after the two week sexing period, raising the temps to 90 for the duration of your eggs will yield brighter colored albinos. Check out his site.

Anyone actually try this? If so, could you post your results?
Yes, raising the temps will give the gecko brighter colors, but there may be side effects.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:46 PM   #7
Th3HiddenGecko
Heres the link to the thread.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...mperature+jump

Old 04-17-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
Rick007
Not to worry, I made room for the beardie eggs after rearranging all the eggs into a few conainers. I will get the other incubator back in about a week and a half and can redistribute the eggs a little better then.

I did try the raising of the temp after 3 weeks with an albino. The color was noticebly lighter but you know there is something wrong with the animal. It moves considerably slower than it's clutchmate incubated for female. It's not worth it..........

Old 04-18-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
perefalcon
the one I have that just hatched out was incubated for 30 days at 83 then I jumped it because I only have one incubator and wanted to incubate the next clutch for male, but that clutch ended up dying from mold, the one I jumped however hatched out great and her colors are outstanding so far

Old 04-18-2006, 01:58 AM   #10
g&mgeckos
I tried Trempers method last year as an experiment. I lost about half of the eggs in this experiment and two of the babies that did hatch had deformities. The parents were not related so I don't think it was the genes at work with the deformities. Also this year the same pair as produced more babies and none have had any deformities. The difference in color is not that noticable for all the risk.

Here are the numbers
12 eggs total in experiment
5 fail to hatch
2 hatched with deformities and were put down (one had one of its legs fused to its body, the other had some kind of spine deformity that looked similar to what I have seen he snakes that were incubated at improper temps)
2 turn out to be males
3 turn out to be females

All should have been female. One of the males had a real rough start and took alot of nursing and advice from Marcia or he probally wouldn't have made it.

These are just my observations draw your own conclusions but I wouldn't trust the method.