Venomous Snakes - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #31
g.spencer
"I live in CA so I cannot keep hots"...

My response was solely based on this quote from you. It's wrong, and it gives others wrong information in which I tried to clear up. If it upsets you that you cannot keep a copperhead so be it, but please do not say you cannot legally keep venomous because that is simply not the truth. Legally speaking for the state of California that is.

Regards,
Greg

Old 12-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #32
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spencer View Post
"I live in CA so I cannot keep hots"...

My response was solely based on this quote from you. It's wrong, and it gives others wrong information in which I tried to clear up. If it upsets you that you cannot keep a copperhead so be it, but please do not say you cannot legally keep venomous because that is simply not the truth. Legally speaking for the state of California that is.

Regards,
Greg
You are right, there are are some native hots that can be kept legally. I did not mean to misinform and any corrections are welcomed. I was probably typing in haste while at work. "I live in CA so I cannot keep hots other than natives" is what I should have said.
I am not upset and take no offense in any way; this is a place of learning and growth for the reptile community so corrections, constructive criticisms, and analytical discussions are all part of the forum.

It does not upset me very much that I cannot keep non-native hots. I have plenty of other snakes to keep me happy. My quarrel is mainly with the fact that responsible keepers cannot legally keep a copperhead but any joker can buy a fishing license and bring home a very dangerous rattlesnake; it just does not make any sense to me. I knew a guy years ago who brought home a northern pacific rattlesnake on a fishing license one time. He was not someone I would have trusted to keep a ball python let alone a rattler. Long story short, within a couple weeks he was in the hospital. When he was discharged (a month later) he had lost the use of some of his hand which he was fortunate enough to still have.

The other legal issue that comes up with many cities in CA is there is usually an ordinance that prohibits venomous animals from being kept within city limits. This is unfortunate because like so many animal laws, it is usually so broad that if the authorities feel like it, they could consider a tarantula or emperor scorpion venomous and thus illegal in the city.

I WISH I could keep copperheads, Bitis sp, death adders mangshans and African bush vipers. I cannot keep anything hot in my house because the penalties my wife would impose on me would be worse than any legal penalties imposed by the state.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #33
Kuru the Guru
I'm a bit to afraid of getting bit to actually own a HOT, although if I ever get over my fear I'd want a few Atheris Hispida... Also, I'd want to wait until more experienced keepers have finally nailed down what they little buggers want to eat, as last time I looked no one really knew what they ate so many were dying of starvation ;.;

Old 12-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
Pythonbreeder99
I think theres only been a few hispida kept in captivity, i heard they dont take the whole packed up and shipped across the world thing well. And its an occupational hazard gettong bit, depends on if you think the days, weeks, or months of agony are worth keeping the animals.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #35
serpentsofdistinction
Hispida are tricky. They come in with many parasites. They like a diet of land snails and slugs I believe. I kept creator hora and netchie in the past. They are easy keepers.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #36
Remuel1985
My Favorites would be the East African Green mamba ( Dendroaspis angusticeps), Red Headed Krait (Bungarus flaviceps), King Brown (Pseudechis australis), Desert Blacksnake (Walterinnesia aegyptia), Papuan Taipan ( Oxyuranus scutellatus canni), Usumbara eyelash bush viper, West african spitting cobra ( Naja katiensis), those snakes i think are awesome to have in your collection..

Old 09-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #37
Remuel1985
and Also Inland Taipan, Black Mamba, and Death adders

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!