Help! Boaphile cages and thermostat probe placement... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Scott Nellis
Talking Help! Boaphile cages and thermostat probe placement...

Ok, my roommate just got a 5 stack of the Boaphile 321s with the 1.0 heat tape option. The heat tape is glued directly to the outside bottom of one side of the cage. My question is...just exactly where do you place the thermostat probe? There are NO cutouts, slots, or recesses on the outside cage surface where a probe could sit and be in contact with the heat tape. Other than placing the probe inside the cage (which my roommate doesn't really want to do), how do you get the probe close enough to the heat tape to get accurate temp readings AND not have it create a lump and raise the cage up? I saw something about placing the probe along the bottom crease of the side panel indent...but that's a good inch away from the edge of the heat tape. How accurate is that placement? Any thoughts??????

Scott Nellis

Old 03-04-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
wcreptiles
I've always wondered where one should place the probes in a Boaphile cage. I have some of the old style (heat inside) and new style (heat outside). I have always drilled a hole and placed the probe inside the cage, I glue the probe and cable down with silicone, I have some cages going on 3 maybe 4 years and I haven't had to re-glue the probes. I haven't had any problems.

I know that's not what you want to do but I didn't see any other way.

-----
Do NOT use tape, never use tape inside a cage. I used tape in the long ago and it came up and became stuck to one of my snakes. It took me several hours to remove, I thought I was going to need to visit the vet and anesthetize the snake to remove the tape.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #3
skaukatt
If it were me, I'd call Jeff and ask him.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
skaukatt
[quote=wcreptiles;493057]I've always wondered where one should place the probes in a Boaphile cage. I have some of the old style (heat inside) and new style (heat outside). I have always drilled a hole and placed the probe inside the cage, I glue the probe and cable down with silicone, I have some cages going on 3 maybe 4 years and I haven't had to re-glue the probes. I haven't had any problems.

I just received my 6322D, the 6' Boaphile enclosure and I had Jeff install everything, RHP, 2 UTH, lights. When I was talking to him about the setup, he asked me if I was wanted him to drill the hole. I said, what hole? The hole that the probes will enter through, I said yes, please do. Well, he forgot so I called him and asked where to drill. He told me to drill a 5/16" hole centered 2" below the RHP and then push the probes through so that they stick out straight under the RHP. That' where he said to place them.

As for the 2 UTH, they are plugged into the small power strip which is connected to the double Ranco T-stats which he configured. The second UTH is just in case my room temps are too cool, which they are, so in order to heat up the far (cool) side of the enclosure we configured the cool end with the low heat UTH just to keep the temps in range. These do noot have probes placed on them and are controlled by the Ranco via the small power strip.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!