how many calories are in a house gecko? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
MasonP13
how many calories are in a house gecko?

Simply put, I saw house geckos for sale on multiple feeder websites, so I wondered if they would be better or worse than mice for a small snake.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
The calories are irrelevant. If you have a snake that eats rodents, feed it rodents. If your snake will only eat lizards, then you are forced to feed it lizards.

The pathogen transmission potential from feeder reptiles outweighs anything else. Cost is the next downside to feeder geckos, and irregular availability (i.e. when geckos aren't available for months your snake starves) is downside number three. There are more downsides, but those are sufficient.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #3
Helenthereef
My snakes would only eat geckos when they were small, and they did fine on them for years (it's a slow-growing species), but when I was able to switch over to chicks they started to grow much faster.

So, in my experience they can survive just fine on geckos, but they obviously benefit from larger prey.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!