Dumeril's Breeding Enclosure & Hog Island Breeding Enclosure - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Boa Delights
Question Dumeril's Breeding Enclosure & Hog Island Breeding Enclosure

Hey there.
I'm looking to build my own enclosures at home to house my two breeder pairs.
My dumeril's and Hogs are the exact same size, females 6' males 5' and they are full grown.

Anyway, what should I use?
I'm going a cheap route, but I'm not sure if I should buy wood and plexiglass or just do plastic bins.

I've already got a Tstat and flexxwat tape, just not sure what to use for the actual enclosures. If you have any input, please feel free to leave it.
It will be of great help.

Also, please include materials and cost of each.
Thank's a bunch!

Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
suzuki4life
Both species get bigger than mentionsed. Minimum cage size should be 4x2. Bigger is always better.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
suzuki4life
homebuilt ideas
males can go in a rack
females will need actual cages since the only tubs of necessary size are more expensive than building a box cage is. I do not recommend using flex watt on anything but racks.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Boa Delights
Agreed, but I'm trying to find my best bet for building my own enclosure;
What materials work and look best.
What will the cost be?
Should I do this or stick with a rack?
Either way, I plan to build 2 enclosures to house these two pairs.
I have new arrivals coming in that I need the smaller rack room for that my boas are currently in.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Boa Delights
What would you reccomend I use then?
I'm planning to build the two enclosures.
Also, can you include a rough estimate of material prices?

Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boa Delights View Post
Agreed, but I'm trying to find my best bet for building my own enclosure;
What materials work and look best.
What will the cost be?
Should I do this or stick with a rack?
Either way, I plan to build 2 enclosures to house these two pairs.
I have new arrivals coming in that I need the smaller rack room for that my boas are currently in.
I never recommedn housing 2 snakes together in a single cage. I recommend buying commercial racks (that's what I use)

Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Boa Delights
I have a rack but I want actual enclosures to house the boas so they can be seen and look better than a big ol rack.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boa Delights View Post
I have a rack but I want actual enclosures to house the boas so they can be seen and look better than a big ol rack.
then build 4 rectangular boxes with plexiglass windows. Cheapest is tileboard method, but it will not hold heat well. Plywood works good but you need to seal it properly. Melamine is more expensive and will degrade quickly if it gets wet.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Boa Delights
Using wood to build the boxes, adding in the windows, I could make it to where I have 2 cages in one. Male on top female on bottom. Would take up less room if I could have all 4 enclosures in 2 fixtures.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
Boa Delights
That way 4 100 gallon enclosures will fit in the spot it takes for 2 100 gal enclosures.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boas, diy, dumerils, enclosure, hog island