Input... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
DAND
Input...

Yesterday I received a group of 9 snakes. One was DOA and another laid eggs in route. The packing of the box consisted of 4 bags (2 adults per bag with the exception of one bag with 3 in it) on the bottom and some newspaper (not even enough to fill the box half way). The one that laid the eggs is still retaining what looks like two eggs. The seller was going to ship on Monday for Tuesday arrival but didn't ship until Tuesday (which he did inform me of). I was told they would arrive by 10:30 am. We specifically spoke of this because I told him that I am the first stop on the route for the morning (FedEx Express) but the last stop for the Standard overnight route.

When I checked the tracking number yesterday morning I saw that the package was shipped Standard, I e-mailed the seller and told him this. No response.

I e-mailed the seller after I received the box with the DOA. I was refunded a portion of money, though I thought it should have been more. The seller wasn't apologetic but stated that she was the oldest of the bunch. He also stated that the return on my investment came sooner with the one laying in route. The eggs are in the incubator but I will be surprised if any hatch since they were already dehydrating/dented and God knows how bounced around and turned.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
Wilomn
Sounds pretty crappy but need more info. Were they long term captives, wild caught, someones collection you were buying out etc. What did you pay and what were you refunded? What may be not enough to you may not be not enough to someone else looking in from the outside. Is this person still in business and what is her name? What kind of snakes are they?

I reckon that'll do for now.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
dwedeking
Quote:
When I checked the tracking number yesterday morning I saw that the package was shipped Standard
This may have been a simple mistake, especially if the shipper recently switched over to Fed Ex from UPS. I know I caught myself doing this a few times as UPS's "standard" overnight is by 10:30 am.

Was the refund for the price of the snake or less than the price of the snake?

Old 06-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Jim O
David,

I agree with Wes, get the details together and post it all. But I would post the entire experience on the BOI. At the very least the crappy shipping is worth noting. If you took pics as they came out of the box and the bags that would help. Also, copies of the e-mails with respect to Express vs Standard overnight shipping and the tracking number and a screen shot showing when they were delivered would solidify your "case".

Old 06-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn
Sounds pretty crappy but need more info. Were they long term captives, wild caught, someones collection you were buying out etc. What did you pay and what were you refunded? What may be not enough to you may not be not enough to someone else looking in from the outside. Is this person still in business and what is her name? What kind of snakes are they?

I reckon that'll do for now.
Since I'm still waiting for a response back from the seller I'll wait to post this on the BOI.

It was a group of corns I bought.

0.2 Snow
1.0 Red Eye Lav
0.1 Lav
1.0 Opal
1.0 Amel Het Lav
0.1 Blood Red
1.0 Het Blood Red
0.1 Butter Motley

$600 for the whole group shipped. I was refunded $40.

This person is still in business but told me they were getting out of Corns and into Pythons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking
This may have been a simple mistake, especially if the shipper recently switched over to Fed Ex from UPS. I know I caught myself doing this a few times as UPS's "standard" overnight is by 10:30 am.

Was the refund for the price of the snake or less than the price of the snake?
The whole shipping thing was discussed over the phone. I specifically make sure to get the Express shipping because I'm the first stop. The Standard route is done in reverse and I am the last stop. I didn't want the snakes to be sitting on the truck all day.

Old 06-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
Jim O
Assuming for a moment that shipping was $40 for the sake of discussion and that was a "fixed" cost, then the average value of the snakes was $560/9 or $62.22 each roughly. I don't know the corn snake market or which snake it was that died but that should be a starting point for "roughing out" how much of a refund you are to get.

As for the gravid snake, the question is was it sold as such? If not, then the eggs are a "bonus" if they hatch and a wash if they don't. If it was sold as gravid then shame on the seller for shipping so long after the pre-lay shed, and if the eggs fail to hatch there ought to be future reimbursement for that. Of course this assumes that you are able to deliever the retained egg(s) yourself and do not incur a vet bill. If so, that should be covered by the seller assuming that you have some kind of health guarantee on arrival.

Last is the matter of shipping. The seller used the cheaper option and saved himself $10-15 or so and this should be passed on to you since the seller agreed to Express shipping. The exact amount of difference can be easily calculated from FedEx's site using the weight of the package and the zip codes.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:51 AM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Any update David?

Old 06-15-2005, 05:02 AM   #8
DAND
Update

She'll be going to the vet tomorrow since she is still retaining what looks like two eggs. I haven't received any reply to the recent e-mails I have sent. Most likely I'll be posting this on the BOI Friday after I e-mail him again tomorrow with the outcome from the trip to the vet and see if I receive a response.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:45 AM   #9
The BoidSmith
Quote:
As for the gravid snake, the question is was it sold as such? If not, then the eggs are a "bonus" if they hatch and a wash if they don't. If it was sold as gravid then shame on the seller for shipping so long after the pre-lay shed, and if the eggs fail to hatch there ought to be future reimbursement for that.
Jim said it very well. We are discussing how much money here and there but the issue is that the snake should have never been shipped. Who in his right mind would ship a snake that close to laying? Was it ever discussed that the snake was that close. Egg retention can even happen under normal conditions, not to mention on a snake that’s on-transit. In my opinion it was irresponsible of him to ship that snake.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:59 AM   #10
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Jim said it very well. We are discussing how much money here and there but the issue is that the snake should have never been shipped. Who in his right mind would ship a snake that close to laying? Was it ever discussed that the snake was that close. Egg retention can even happen under normal conditions, not to mention on a snake that’s on-transit. In my opinion it was irresponsible of him to ship that snake.
THANK YOU!!! I was beginning to think nobody read/saw that part.

I was livid when I found eggs in the bag and her still retaining some. That's why I first made the inquiry here, because I knew I was hot and I wanted input and I needed time to cool off prior to proceeding.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!