SHTCTB market dropping?!?!? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
LeosForLess
SHTCTB market dropping?!?!?

I recently did some research and im finding flawless 60-70%ct SHTCTB for under 100 or less. Does this mean the market is dropping? Is the market for SHTCT going to stay low or rise back up?

Old 01-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
timmytoos
Yes, I have realized it too. I am convinced that it is dropping.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
WindyO
I was selling them for $75 a piece and my tangs were going faster. It is all about the intensity of the color. Solid yellow SHTCTB's are a dime a dozen now. They are going to be my low end line this year.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
LeosForLess
I mean like slightly orange ones 60% carrot tail for $45? Ive never seen deals liek that b4. With hesitation i will reveal this site with unbeatable SHTCTB prices. http://www.tortugaflatsreptiles.com/...frameset_4.htm . Amazing. Although i do see your point where the true tangerines are worth alot more.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
CrazyRhacos
wow sucky...mine have some nice orange/red color in her ..my other ones are orangeish...hope they dont loose alot of value.bummer

Old 01-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #6
WindyO
I just looked at that site and his prices are OK. A lot of them are faded and have poor carrot tails. The two that are $100 each are nice but the tails seam faded and i personally wouldn't be interested in breeding any of those. I hope i don't sound like i am slamming the place. I am just saying those prices are low for a reason. Just don't think that you are going to get big money for them anymore unless they have amazing color on them.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #7
LeosForLess
Is thatwhy Tangerine Tornado's are sellign for thousands?

Old 01-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #8
WindyO
SHTCTB's are line bred and even then you will need a little luck to get nice colors. Just because you breed a baldie to a baldie doesn't mean all of the babies will be baldies. So TT's are a long way down the selective breeding chain. It's not like albino's or patternless where they have it or not.
I will be breeding a TT and a SHTCTB with an orange head this year and i am hoping to get between $400 and $600 each. Each year a new morph is on the market they decrease about half. The people who buy them when they first come out breed them and so the supply increases dropping the prices.
It was only a two years ago when albino trempers carrot heads were $1200. Now you can get a male from RT for $400. APTORS were a $1000 each and i would bet they will be a few hundred in a couple of years.
With the way things are going with RAPTORS and SNOWS it looks like all the markets are flooded. You just have to find a grove and love it for the hobby. If you try to selectively breed with some of these big breeders they will blow you out of the market. You might be able to aford one gecko of the latest morph. You get it and start breeding it to get a group started. By the time you have a couple of lesser examples of the new morph to sell in a couple of years the other guys have the market flooded.
So what i have done is picked a morph of a breed i love. In this way i am only working with the animals that i like and if nothing else i get to keep the best offspring. If i make a few bucks thats OK but i am more happy giving one of my geckos that i hatched to someone and seeing the smile on their faces. To me that is the ultimate reward.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:26 AM   #9
progeckos
The price range for tangerines is very wide. Not only does the color of the individual gecko play a role in the prices but the breeders reputation also plays a big roll. A first time breeder won’t get as much as an established big name breeder because the established breeder is so well known. In order for the newcomer to compete they have to lower the prices.

Regardless of what the market values are keep and breed what you like. Trying to keep up with the Jones’ is near impossible…

Old 01-03-2006, 02:50 AM   #10
KelliH
Great post Brian.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!