Red mites on newly aquired bearded dragon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-14-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
hockeymom
Unhappy Red mites on newly aquired bearded dragon

My husband just brought home a small group of very pretty yellow dragons. I noticed that one of them has red mites on her, not a whole lot, but there are several I noticed.. I picked one off an squished it.... it's a mite. I know they will all have to be treated..Whats the best way to get rid of them? I was told to use the frontline spray that is used on snakes, or the yellow hard plastic bug strip. Problem is after 6 years with reptiles I have never had mites on ANY thing and have no clue.

How do you get rid of mites on dragons?

Thanks

Old 12-14-2006, 02:09 AM   #2
Robust_Beardies
We had a dragon from a pet store who had mites. (Never-the-less, we do NOT support this store anymore.) At first we tried to use Zoo-Med's Mite Off, but that didn't work. Someone suggested us to buy Natural Chemistry's Reptile Relief instead because they had had success with it. We were skeptical so we tried an experiment. We took a cricket and sprayed it with the Zoo-Med Mite Off. Nothing happened. We took a different cricket and sprayed it with Reptile Relief. It died within 5 seconds. We were convinced.

So for the next two weeks (the mites really were that bad); we sprayed our dragon once a day from head to tail for two days. On the third day we soaked her in warm water and tried to pick off as many mites as we could find. Some of them drowned while in the water. We dried her off and then bathed her in Betadine to clean any of the open bite wounds from the mites. The next day we started over again.

We kept her by herself through the whole process. She was in a 29 gallon tank with no substrate and no furnishings. We cleaned out and sanitized her tank everyday to stop the spread of more. Eventually they disappeared and haven't returned.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigres13
So for the next two weeks (the mites really were that bad); we sprayed our dragon once a day from head to tail for two days. On the third day we soaked her in warm water and tried to pick off as many mites as we could find. Some of them drowned while in the water. We dried her off and then bathed her in Betadine to clean any of the open bite wounds from the mites. The next day we started over again.
Directly from the Reptile Relief bottle:

Quote:
Reapply as often as necessary, but NOT more often than at 3 DAY INTERVALS.
Reptile Relief is great stuff, but please be sure you follow the directions! Overdoing it can be more dangerous than the mites themselves.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Dennis Hultman
"Red mite"= Happy, content mite with a full tummy.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
hockeymom
Yes, they were happy fat and content... untill I picked them off an squished them.
I will be going out this afternoon to pick up some reptile relief, Pet Co?

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
gixxer3420
I bought a couple dragons from a breeder of line and they all came with mites. What i did was coat my dragons in vasoline, left it on the dragons for a while and then gave them a bath, scrubbed all the vasoline off and all was good. It suffocates the mites. This worked for me, just a suggestion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!