best treatment for snake mites? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
grizlywinkleman
best treatment for snake mites?

I found tiny little dark bugs on Two out of three of my snakes, I'm pretty sure there mites. I've read reptile relief works good. Any one ever use it? Any other recomendations? Should I treat my third snake as well?

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 08-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
RoadHouse of Retics
Give Provent a mite a try. You won't be disappointed.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHouse of Retics View Post
Give Provent a mite a try. You won't be disappointed.
Agreed - I swear by the stuff. Make sure you read the directions fully.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
KY Reptiles
Using both would make everything more effective. Treat all three snakes.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
bullies&balls
I get RID spray, same active ingredient as the others at a fraction of the cost. Spray enclosure and water bowl. Let set for a min. then add bedding. Repeat in 10 days 2x's

Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
Shadera
Provent a mite is amazing stuff. Once you get rid of the mites, use it monthly on enclosures and racks as a preventative.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
preacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Provent a mite is amazing stuff. Once you get rid of the mites, use it monthly on enclosures and racks as a preventative.
This is the real stuff!! And do your monthly treatments it works wonders.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
dustinNMpythons
Like everyone else said Prevent a Mite works awesome but I don't use it once a month because its really hard on your animals so I would only use it when needed. I would use it twice to get rid of the bugs at a two week interval and then use it on any animal that is new to your collection. Still do quarantine but use prevent a mite before putting the animal into quarantine. What I do is spray prevent a mite in the container and then spray the animal with the reptile relief or whatever same type of spray you decide to use so it covers both the animal and the bedding. You can't use prevent a mite on your animals or it will kill them.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinNMpythons View Post
Like everyone else said Prevent a Mite works awesome but I don't use it once a month because its really hard on your animals so I would only use it when needed. I would use it twice to get rid of the bugs at a two week interval and then use it on any animal that is new to your collection. Still do quarantine but use prevent a mite before putting the animal into quarantine. What I do is spray prevent a mite in the container and then spray the animal with the reptile relief or whatever same type of spray you decide to use so it covers both the animal and the bedding. You can't use prevent a mite on your animals or it will kill them.
Great idea!

My brother has ended up with mites twice and both times he got rid of them after the first treatment and a follow up 30 days later.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
LampropeltisCollector
I've always taken the snake and put it in shallow water with a small amount of dishwashing soap. That goes through the water and drowns the mites. I've done for awhile and I've never been disappointed. Usually if you see a mite on your snake afterwards, its dead.
-Jordan
JTS Herps
"Breeding every species of hognose, Central Plains Milksnakes, Eastern and Florida Kingsnakes!"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!