blizzard cornsnake eating issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
creaturewinn
Question blizzard cornsnake eating issues

Hi everybody

I have a 3 y/o blizzard corn that I've had in my care for about 3 months. He has been GREAT! Eating, drinking, being cute, etc. However we've ran into a feeding issue within the last few weeks. He went from 1 small f/t mouse a week to 2 smalls after a few feedings. We did this for a couple weeks (he seemed pleased) and the last eating feed we did (about 3 weeks ago) he only had one. The mouse got a bit wet and Pothos (the corn) ended up eating a decent amount of eco earth. Me being a paranoid mom was concerned but he did poop fine a few days later and his vent seems okay. I tried offering the following week and he was not interested. The following week he wasn't either and I got a bit concerned just because he was so adamant about food before. He shed a couple days later and OH that made so much sense! I was so glad and expecting him to be hungry and ready to take food just as he was last time he shed...but he wasn't. He seems interested, he smells around it and follows it (on the tongs) for a while but in the end he doesn't want it. He's even taken the mouse but then kind of drops it and it seems like he's looking for the right way to eat it? And eventually looses interest.

I tried feeding again on Saturday and still no luck. He has been especially active lately, out of his hide and slithering around. Seems really focused on 'getting out' as he's always up on one wall of his tank moving around and nudging it.

Is it just normal? Is it breeding season symptoms kicking in? (I don't know if he's been bred before). He was my first snake and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I think this weekend I am going to switch over his substrate and make sure it's clean and good for him. I'm probably concerned over something minimal but some input from more experienced people would be nice! Thank you

Old 06-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #2
kamakazi152
This could be breeding season symptoms. Some corns stop eating sometime in March and don't eat for a few weeks or even a couple of months. Has it taken anything since this post was made?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, cornsnake, feeding