Baby cornsnake eating pinkies alive - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
Flyingsaucered
Baby cornsnake eating pinkies alive

So I'm prepping a baby cornsnake for my nephew (feeding, handling, transitioning to f/t, etc) and I noticed that he doesn't strike or constrict the pinkies. He just grabs the head or butt and swallows it while it's still alive and squirming. I'm worried that it could be scratching his insides. Is that possible? Should I be concerned? I know it won't be an issue when he's transitioned over to f/t, but for now it makes me nervous.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old 12-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
I've seen baby corns do this to pinkies before when I had a clutch and with a baby I had bought that was being a finicky feeder. I switched them to f/t as soon as possible. There was never any damage as far as I can tell but I think anything more than a newborn pink could possibly cause harm if taken down alive.

I never fed live after pink size so I don't know if the corns would continue to do that as they grow and the prey gets larger but I would assume not?

Old 12-07-2019, 11:49 PM   #3
WebSlave
A pinky mouse just cannot hurt a baby corn snake in any way. I've literally fed thousands of baby corns live pinky mice over a few decades, and never once had an issue.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Now when the snake gets bigger and requires larger, older meals, yeah, you might have a valid concern. I always prekilled adult mice or else used frozen/thawed adult mice. A live adult mouse will be fighting for it's life and sometimes snakes do get injured in that kind of battle.

And btw, the constriction thing will kick in when the snake feels it needs it.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Flyingsaucered
Thank you guys! I feel better. His next feed will be a fresh kill and then hopefully the next one will be f/t. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about his noodle belly being hurt!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!